ITE Motor Starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock Crusher

At work, we have ITE equipment. There is a motor starter that continuously trips and needs to be reset. I was told they can't find a replacement, as they don't make ITE stuff anymore. I have a hard time believing they can't find one, anywhere.
My question is:
Can a different brand of motor starter be used? If not, why?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Code:
[CODE]
[/CODE]
At work, we have ITE equipment. There is a motor starter that continuously trips and needs to be reset. I was told they can't find a replacement, as they don't make ITE stuff anymore. I have a hard time believing they can't find one, anywhere.
My question is:

As Don said, if it's in a MCC there are probably replacements available. But I have to ask, is the starter really bad or is there some issue with the motor or the driven load that has changed or developed a problem?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Use these guys for some GE 7700 series stuff all the time have gotten nothing but good service out of them.

http://www.rebuiltmcc.com/ITE-MCC/index.html
We just buy new 8000 line GE stuff direct from GE for the 7700 series MCCs although that has become very expensive now that GE wants to move everyone to their 9000 series.
We have a number of 7700 buckets in use where the overloads are only in two of the 3 phases as permitted before the 68 code.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
ITE was bought and sold and broken up into a number of different entities a long time ago, like 30+ years ago, so that has to be a VERY old starter!

But for the most part, they are now Siemens. Siemens sells replacement buckets for older Gould ITE 5600 and 5900 Series MCCs, but nothing older than that and it will have new Siemens components inside (although the breakers are still the same). That would be relevant if it were a smaller starter, Size 4 (100HP) and below.

However if it's a crusher starter, it's likely stand alone or at least too big to be in a plug-in MCC bucket anyway therefore it would be fixed mount. Either way the brand becomes irrelevant. So yes, you can, and should, replace it with a new starter, preferably with a solid state overload relay now. If I were you I'd pick a major brand name with local stock and support.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
My question is:

Who cares what brand it is if it is a standalone starter? If it is part of an MCC it would be an issue. But even then, no reason you could not use the MCC bucket to feed a seperate new starter.

I would be trying to figure out why it trips all the time. It seems unlikely that the problem is the starter if it is actually tripping. I would be looking at why it is tripping rather than blaming the starter.

norcal

The industrial controls division of Gould Inc. was sold to Telemechanque*, but I doubt they are supporting it anymore. Gould bought ITE Imperial Corp. & later sold them off in pieces, Siemens got a part, Brown Bovari, (pre ABB), & others got other parts. But there is little sense in continuing to installing obsolete equipment, as said before use what is supported locally less headaches.

*Not sure it's spelled correct or not, but it's close.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The industrial controls division of Gould Inc. was sold to Telemechanque*, but I doubt they are supporting it anymore. Gould bought ITE Imperial Corp. & later sold them off in pieces, Siemens got a part, Brown Bovari, (pre ABB), & others got other parts. But there is little sense in continuing to installing obsolete equipment, as said before use what is supported locally less headaches.

*Not sure it's spelled correct or not, but it's close.

FWIW,
" Telemecanique". No "h" in it.
Also "Boveri". You were close.

Status
Not open for further replies.