UTilization

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

Referring to Section 210.23A2. Does this section mean we have been violating code, if we knowingly install two GDO receptacles on the same circuit as the garage receptacles? My interpretation leads me to believe this section is saying: If we have two pieces of electrical equipment fastened-in-place at a total rating above 50% of the circuit rating. Then we are in violation of said section.

Any thoughts, or do I need to put down the Starbucks :D

stevebea

Referring to Section 210.23A2. Does this section mean we have been violating code, if we knowingly install two GDO receptacles on the same circuit as the garage receptacles? My interpretation leads me to believe this section is saying: If we have two pieces of electrical equipment fastened-in-place at a total rating above 50% of the circuit rating. Then we are in violation of said section.

Any thoughts, or do I need to put down the Starbucks :D

I would have to believe that this would be in violation although it is done alot. A GDO would fit the definition of fastened in place utilization equipment therefore you can not exceed 50% of the circuit rating.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In all likelihood it is a violation. I tried to write a proposal to exempt this an garbage disposals since they are on but a few seconds. Three gdo would be a violation if they draw 7 amps but in reality you never have 3 going and if the were it would never trip the breaker in that short period.

BTW I had no luck with the wording of the proposal so I never sent one in.

resistance

My thoughts as well!! Thanks Dennis, you always come through!!! PS: My GDO has 1/2hp motor. So it would only take two to be in violation. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.