smoke det

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have always heard not to mix them but I have mixed many brands and they work fine. Maybe a mistake but sometimes the owners don't want to change it out. I test it and make sure they work and I am not sure why they wouldn't be compatible.

hurk27

I'm not sure when the interconnect voltage was standardized to 9 volts DC, but almost all detectors today use the same 9 volt interconnect but the amount of current needed to trigger an alarm can still vary on some manufactures as some have a limiting resistors and or diodes to protect the battery from short circuits or line voltage being hooked up to the interconnect so it is important to follow the instructions, as you need to CYA if something was to go wrong, always think liability anytime your installing life safety type equipment, I just replace 5 smokes in a house just because the ones installed were no longer made and I told the owner I would not mix and match when it came to smoke detectors if the instruction said not to.

Actually we need to always have liability on our mind doing any electrical work period!

Last edited:

dieselram752

Had a job a few weeks ago that had 6 or 7 year old firex already in there house and the customer needed to add 1 more.
Tec. support at firex was helpful but recommended all to be replaced so thats what i did.
To much liability mixing and matching different vintage smokes for me to take a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.