Art. 680

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently called to look at a small job to do on the "side" from a person whom I've never worked for before. The customer just wants me to put in a receptacle for their removable pool pump and a second receptacle for their pool lighting to plug into. Down and dirty, pretty simple. The pool is an above ground.

The receptacle for the pump is 120v 20A twist-lock, does this need to be GFI protected?

The pool has been in place for over a year, I don't think that anyone has touched it electrically speaking. The first guy they called was a no-show, the trench has been open for over a year, and now I'm involved.

The residence is an hour away from me, not somewhere I can just swing by at any time of the day and have a chat with the homeowners about it, but I will be making a phone call to them tomorrow. I also have to give the Inspector of Wires a call and coordinate things on his part, as I've never worked in this town before either.

I've never touched a pool in my life, they aren't something I've had the opportunity to work on before and this is my first time being involved with one. If there hasn't been any bonding done, it's my understanding I have to run an equipotential bonding grid in #8 solid around the pool. Correct? Do I also have to hit the uprights?

Thanks for any input.

I forgot to add that I'm aware that I have to bond the water, does that also come off the #8 solid? And these are questions I've come up with since initially looking at the job and while putting together my proposal. I don't want to miss something huge, and come out looking like a fool.

Some of you may know me from over at ET.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The pool is above ground but is it classified as storable by art. 680-- 42" or less in depth

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A pool is classified as either permanent or storable. If it meets the definition of storable- above ground and NOT greater than 42" if it is metallic.

The storable pool does not need the equipotential bonding and Part III of art 680 is what you need to read

No, the pool does not meet that defintion. It was up to around my neck, I stand just shy of 6'. Also the cord on the pump did not have an integral GFI in the cord.

The pump is a Hayward Power-Flo Matrix SP1510-Z-1-XEFTC

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The first guy had the right idea :D
Since it's not sortable, there are a world of items that need to be addressed...including equipotential bonding and it's doubtful the owners will want to go that far so some salesmanship will be involved.
Also keep in mind there is a a huge liability anytime you work in a pool.
Since you mentioned this is a "side" job, and your first pool, unless you have all the required licensing and insurance I would recommend respectfully declining.

I've got the license, I do not carry insurance, yet. The homeowners are aware of that, and in MA there is a spot to sign saying that the HO is aware that I don't carry insurance and are okay with that.

No signature = No permit = I don't do the job.

John120/240

Since you mentioned this is a "side" job, and your first pool, unless you have all the required licensing and insurance I would recommend respectfully declining.

I second augie47 s opinon. I would not take on a pool job without prior experience. Find a

contractor who has pool experience to sub the job too, & look over his shoulder

newservice

May get a little off topic here but a couple things. Here they won't give you a license unless you first submit your proof of insurance, and name the City on the policy. I would also agree he should probably let this job go if no experience with pools. I have experienced a few in my illustrious career, and it never fails they take ALOT of time to plan and do, always so many nuances and code changes, and all the newbies trying to outbid you make the margin really prohibitive. If you make a mistake and the inspector doesnt like it your eating the job big time. Save yourself a headache. Also, just because the home owner signs off on you not having insurance, I dont believe that lets you off the hook if you screw it up. On bonding the pool, the AHJ here (I believe correctly ) insists that the continuous #8 be brought into the twist lock receptacle box and connected there with the green insulated grounding conductor. Not just connected to the motor, where the connection is lost when the motor is unplugged. 2 cents.

Gaffen99

May get a little off topic here but a couple things. Here they won't give you a license unless you first submit your proof of insurance, and name the City on the policy. I would also agree he should probably let this job go if no experience with pools. I have experienced a few in my illustrious career, and it never fails they take ALOT of time to plan and do, always so many nuances and code changes, and all the newbies trying to outbid you make the margin really prohibitive. If you make a mistake and the inspector doesnt like it your eating the job big time. Save yourself a headache. Also, just because the home owner signs off on you not having insurance, I dont believe that lets you off the hook if you screw it up. On bonding the pool, the AHJ here (I believe correctly ) insists that the continuous #8 be brought into the twist lock receptacle box and connected there with the green insulated grounding conductor. Not just connected to the motor, where the connection is lost when the motor is unplugged. 2 cents.

What connection are you losing when the motor is unplugged?

Status
Not open for further replies.