300 kW generator 480 volt w/ 600-amp breaker...2-sets of 4/0 wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

mallard duck

I have a project to install a 480 volt, 250/500 kW UPS between the transfer switch and the 600-amp MDP. The problem I found is the wiring from the 600-amp 100% rated GE breaker Spectra SGHA36AT0600 at the switchgear is feeding the ATS with 2 sets of 4/0. Between the 300 kW generator's 600-amp breaker is the same 2-sets of 4/0 and between the ATS and the MDP is the same.

Can someone tell me I am wrong to think all this wire and 2 inch conduit will need to be replaced with 300 KCM in 2-1/2" conduit.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Depending on your calculated load, a 250 kmil might be adeqaute, but not 4/0s

mallard duck

I am going to hate breaking the news to the customer as the generator was only put in a couple years back. Saw no. 1 THHN wire in 1-1/2" conduit on the 225-amp breaker in the MDP also, feeds a sub-panel. He will be spending more money on corrections. This generator already feeds a large computer room along with the HVAC units for that area.

cal40

wiring methods once inside a generator enclosure

wiring methods once inside a generator enclosure

I'm wondering once inside the genrator enclosure . Can we free-air from our pipes stubbed up out of slab (inside enclosure) to our disconnect switch . We have (2) sets of 600 mcm not much room for any 4" seal tight or greenfield connections or terminations . The generator is a 500KW deisel , double walled tank , above ground . The inspectors asking for it be in seal tight to protect it from the elements (we are inside the enclosure already) . Any thoughts ??

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
are you asking about conductors inside the generator cabinet ?

cal40

Wiring Methods inside generator cabinets

Wiring Methods inside generator cabinets

I'm wondering once inside the genrator enclosure . Can we free-air from our pipes stubbed up out of slab (inside enclosure) to our disconnect switch . We have (2) sets of 600 mcm not much room for any 4" seal tight or greenfield connections or terminations . The generator is a 500KW deisel , double walled tank , above ground . The inspectors asking for it be in seal tight to protect it from the elements (we are inside the enclosure already) . Any thoughts ??

GearMan

I have a project to install a 480 volt, 250/500 kW UPS between the transfer switch and the 600-amp MDP. The problem I found is the wiring from the 600-amp 100% rated GE breaker Spectra SGHA36AT0600 at the switchgear is feeding the ATS with 2 sets of 4/0. Between the 300 kW generator's 600-amp breaker is the same 2-sets of 4/0 and between the ATS and the MDP is the same.

Can someone tell me I am wrong to think all this wire and 2 inch conduit will need to be replaced with 300 KCM in 2-1/2" conduit.

I find it odd that the main line breaker for the generator is 600A, seems high. Also, is the rating plug in the SGHA breaker full 600A? If it was a 400A chip (SRPG600A400) and 400A gen cb, this would make more sense. Just having a hard time thinking the wrong wire size would not have been caught. What is the rating on the ATS? Just a thought.

GearMan

I am going to hate breaking the news to the customer as the generator was only put in a couple years back. Saw no. 1 THHN wire in 1-1/2" conduit on the 225-amp breaker in the MDP also, feeds a sub-panel. He will be spending more money on corrections. This generator already feeds a large computer room along with the HVAC units for that area.

Check the rating plug on this breaker. Probably a Spectra with a lower amp plug.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Welcome to the forum. Sorry for any ambiguity but the short answer is, "Yes" and, "It depends."

What kind of generartor? How is it to be used?

ron

I find it odd that the main line breaker for the generator is 600A, seems high. Also, is the rating plug in the SGHA breaker full 600A? If it was a 400A chip (SRPG600A400) and 400A gen cb, this would make more sense. Just having a hard time thinking the wrong wire size would not have been caught. What is the rating on the ATS? Just a thought.

Good point. Also check if there adjustments on the trip unit for long time pickup, which will further adjust a trip plug/sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.