Suitable for Use as Service Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local inspector wants contractor/manufacturer to install a Suitable for Use as Service Equipment (SUSE) sticker on a Medium Voltage (4.16kV) switchgear (Call this Switchgear A). Switchgear A is feed from a different 5kV switchgear (Switchgear B) on the same premisis, same owner. Switchgear A and Switchgear B are in completely seperate buildings. Switchgear A has a main-tie-main configuration with two protective relay controlled main circuit breakers (disconnecting means). Switchgear B is also configured main-tie-main and it has been modified with two feeder breakers to Switchgear A. Switchgear B interfaces with the utility. Inspector cited NEC article 225.36 as violation on Switchgear A because a SUSE sticker was not placed on the equipment. Inspector completely dismissed NEC article 225.51 and claims 225.36 is applicable to all voltages. Installation is bound by NEC 2005.
Does NEC article 225.36 apply to all voltages? If so, under what conditions would NEC article 225.51 be applicable?
Where would contractor place a SUSE label on a coupled disconnecting means of protective relay and MV circuit breaker? These circuit breakers are draw out type conforming to the exceptions noted in 225.51 and article 230 (over 600V nominal). Installation also complies with NEC article 230 Part VIII, but as described above, this is not a service.

Apologies for the lengthy description, but information is necessary for clear picture of issue.
Also, first time on forum, unsure of proper protocol.
Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Imo, both buildings need main disconnects that are suitable for service equip as stated in 225.36. There is no except for voltages so yes it applies to all voltages, IMO. I think section III adds to the other parts of 225.

I don't know about 225.51

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I agree with Dennis. 225.36 applies to all installations. To not apply, it would have to be in a section titled 600 Volts, Nominal, or Less... and there is none in 225.

The NEC does not require the sticker AFAICT. Either the gear is SUSE or it isn't. The sticker doesn't change anything. Nevertheless, placing a sticker is rather easy for the sake of getting along with the inspector. I'd put it on the inside of gear A next to any other labeling, as that is the equipment required to be SUSE.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I am not sure that you will find a disconnect with that listing, since the rule in 230.66 that requires service disconnects to be marked as suitable for use as service equipment only applies to 600 volt or less.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I am not sure that you will find a disconnect with that listing, since the rule in 230.66 that requires service disconnects to be marked as suitable for use as service equipment only applies to 600 volt or less.
Had not considered that. Coupled with 225.36, likely reason the inspector wants the gear labeled... but like I said, placing the sticker doesn't change whether it is or isn't SUSE.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Don, you amaze me-- you are always one step up on us. :thumbsup: I kept looking for something like that but didn't think to go to art. 230. I figured it would be in 225.

templdl

Don, you amaze me-- you are always one step up on us. :thumbsup: I kept looking for something like that but didn't think to go to art. 230. I figured it would be in 225.

The MV swgr that I have sold never was supplied with one. either. What was supplied was a lockable metering compartment that met the requirements of the POCO.

Thanks all,
Don has identified my hangup with these articles. So, I concur that the NEC doesn't require a SUSE label for MV equipment but is necessary for services 600V and below, per 230.66. What I am struggling with is how article 225.36 can be applied to all voltages. IMO the intent of 225.31 and ultimately 225.36 is to provide a clear, safe, means to remove power. This is the same objective of 225.51, but at a higher voltage due to the industry available configurations, like protective relay controlled circuit breakers. When I think of 600V installations I think of MCB and ICB installations. These are single unit OCP devices. So, there appears to be little difference between article 225.51 and article 230 Part VIII that specifically describes requirements for services exceeding 600V nominal. Within this section, I cannont find where SUSE labeling is necessary when disconnecting means is addressed. In fact the text of 230.204 nearly matches that of 225.51. Inherintly, in order to comply with the code, equipment falling in this catagory would be rated suitable for use as service equipment. I think for 600V and below installations we need to insure that the disconnecting means equipment will be SUSE rated, especially in a feeder application, and that is where 225.36 is relevant. Installations that have MV disconnecting means would fall under 225.51 and specifically the exception for this application.
In the end, the inspector will get the SUSE label. Most likely provided by a NRTL with some additional cost to the owner as the consesus here is it is not required by code. To what purpose does the sticker serve if the installation complies with the applicable code sections as noted by Smart $.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What I am struggling with is how article 225.36 can be applied to all voltages.
I don't see how it can be interpretted otherwise. There is nothing which states it only applies to 600V equipment. Note it says the disconnecting means shall be suitable for use as service equipment. It does not say the disconnecting means must be marked as such. So determining whether suitable for use as service equipment falls under Article 230 requirements, which do not require MV equipment to be marked as such. Just as an added note, MV equipment must also comply with Article 490.

In the end, the inspector will get the SUSE label. Most likely provided by a NRTL with some additional cost to the owner as the consesus here is it is not required by code. To what purpose does the sticker serve if the installation complies with the applicable code sections as noted by Smart $.
Is the inspector asking for an NRTL-certificatied label?

If he is, I'd contest it up the AHJ chain to at least the point where it becomes a greater hardship than getting an NRTL label. If not, I'd just print up a label, slap it on, and see what he says ;)

IMO, the inspector wants the sticker because he is not competent enough to determine suitability. :eek:hmy:

The inspector has cited the installation as a "code violation" and references article 225.36 as the source, requiring proof that the equipment is SUSE by means of a label. Inspector is unyielding in his position and has dismissed all explainations to the contrary, even the ones referenced in this thread. In research of this issue with manufacturers, some will place SUSE on equipment in factory, for additional cost, some will do in field for additional cost, some will not in either case and recommend a NRTL to perform field inspection in order to acquire. The later is installation at hand. Interestingly, when talking with the NRTL, they will inspect to the same NEC articles (230 & 490) that were presented to inspector for acceptance of the equipment. I've contemplated going up the chain, but wonder if his supervisor is of the same opinion, unknown. Ultimately, just trying to get it resolved and if he won't accept any other explaination, then I'm left with getting the mfr. or NRTL to label.
Thanks again, input is much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.