Electrical, phone, cable. . . ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Bob

i was just wondering. . . How many of you all do both, or even cable too. i mean for new construction, do you all run the phone and cable as well. ? I've really never messed enough with either one as to consider that i'm offering a good quality job. .

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
i was just wondering. . . How many of you all do both, or even cable too. i mean for new construction, do you all run the phone and cable as well. ? I've really never messed enough with either one as to consider that i'm offering a good quality job. .

power, phone, cable, and have ran some CAT5, but I don't like to. I will refuse to run CAT5 now, the wire seems too finiky... Also no to alarm, vaccum and home stereo

Gac66610

yep, do it all the time
not that difficult, just run all to a central location, one run outside by the service
terminate phones (several ways to do this) around here cable company will tie the cable ends onto splitters
phone and cable jacks are easy enough and you're off to the bank with a lil more money:thumbsup:

Gac66610

power, phone, cable, and have ran some CAT5, but I don't like to. I will refuse to run CAT5 now, the wire seems too finiky... Also no to alarm, vaccum and home stereo

i run CAT5E to all phones just in case they want networking, around here land lines are about dead, no one uses them, the only reason i have one is for my fax

Strife

i run CAT5E to all phones just in case they want networking, around here land lines are about dead, no one uses them, the only reason i have one is for my fax

You know for 10 buks you could get an EFax, right?
1: Cheaper than a landline.
2: No fax machine needed anymore.
3: No paper and toner waste(I only print what I want/need)
4: They'll even port the fax number you already have.
5: No need to print, THEN fax.
6: And my favorite: No sitting next to the fax machine to make sure it went through, and redial, and resend, then redial some more, then resend some more. The Efax will automatically retry every so many minutes if the number's not available.

GerryB

I don't like doing phone and cable either but you're going to have to, especially in a new construction. They'll will say why can't you do it, it's a wire? Like was said everything is a home run. I try to run a cat5 and a rg6 together to one low voltage opening, then you can put them both in the same plate. But I don't think you can use one cat5 for both network and phone. Usually from the computer router you need a cat5 to every other computer. I tell the customer I can run the wire but you have to get a TT guy or the cable company to do finish install. It's a lot of work if you think about it, usually every bedroom, living room, family room, and sometimes the kitchen. At least it's new. I flat out refuse to touch a big rat's nest of phone wires you might see in a home, (after having a few bad experiences, naturally) A good excuse is "I don't have the right tools for those little wires". As was also mentioned it's pretty easy to pass off the alarm to an alarm company, and central vac I've never done but it was just added to a house I have coming up. I told the GC I didn't want to do it other than the plug, he said he'll do the pvc and I can run the wire. We'll see.

Gac66610

You know for 10 buks you could get an EFax, right?
1: Cheaper than a landline.
2: No fax machine needed anymore.
3: No paper and toner waste(I only print what I want/need)
4: They'll even port the fax number you already have.
5: No need to print, THEN fax.
6: And my favorite: No sitting next to the fax machine to make sure it went through, and redial, and resend, then redial some more, then resend some more. The Efax will automatically retry every so many minutes if the number's not available.

1: Can't argue your point, it is still tax deductible for business use only:cool:
2: but i like my 4 in 1:(
3: well, ok you win:happyyes:
4: that is good to know if i ever change:happyyes:
5: I print all business documents, always good to have a hard copy just in case computer goes belly up, has happened:(
6: when i fax i am normally at my desk online reading and learning from this forum, no waisted time there:thumbsup:

kwired

Electron manager
Have you seen the kind of installs that are performed by TV, satellite, phone guys?

I once did a $3-5K new home where I ran all coax within the home, then along comes the satellite installer and installs the runs to the dish - looked like he thought he was installing it in the trailer park is all I am going to say. In the basement he did run through holes bored in floor joists - my holes I had planned to use for something else eventually:rant:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Have you seen the kind of installs that are performed by TV, satellite, phone guys?

yeh. i've seen them.

i wired a house a few years ago with a structured network panel; had cat5 and coax all over the house, ran a conduit to the southwest corner of the house with 4x solid copper coax's, and carried them a #10 ground wire over there. had it all labeled, and a note in the SMC that said "install switch here".

homeowner calls the week he moved in, extremely pissed off. satellite guy showed up, said "this won't work", and strung coax all over the outside of this new 2 story house. drilled holes into every room through exterior wall.

the SMC i bought came with a passive splitter. the sat installer mounted his switch on the outside of the house, connected a single coax going into the SMC, then tried to split everything for the sat off the passive splitter. he had no f-ing clue what he was doing.

anyhow, back on topic, DN is actually one of our clients, and their installers recommend our service arm to customers that want cables fished down walls, etc. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.