Hot Tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

Thoughts on the Hot tub having an equipotential bonding grid? Like or dislike the idea? I spoke with an inspector yesterday, and asked him about their jurisdictional requirements for the grid, and he seems to think we don?t need one. Based on what i know, it seems this section of the code is causing people to stumble. My thought: It?s required, but how necessary?????????.Bonding the water makes sense-specifically if we talk about dropping a specific appliance in the tub. Hum!!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you are under the 2011 there was a TIA issued that only requires it in certain circumstances otherwise it is required for hot tubs

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Thoughts on the Hot tub having an equipotential bonding grid? Like or dislike the idea? I spoke with an inspector yesterday, and asked him about their jurisdictional requirements for the grid, and he seems to think we don?t need one. Based on what i know, it seems this section of the code is causing people to stumble. My thought: It?s required, but how necessary?????????.Bonding the water makes sense-specifically if we talk about dropping a specific appliance in the tub. Hum!!

In my area, I have NEVER seen one done. Now, I'm sure the guys in some parts of Florida would say different.

kwired

Electron manager

Although I don't see it done much myself the reasoning makes good sense. A person stepping out of the tub could be subject to a voltage gradient even if premises wiring is in good condition. A good example is voltage drop on POCO MGN (neutral). Same voltage drop potential will be on all equipment grounding conductors - which your pool or tub water is also at this voltage, yet when someone has one foot in tub and other one out the one on outside is true ground potential if no equipotential plane exists to bring the area around the tub to same potential as the tub.

Dropping an appliance in the water is not the reason the water is bonded. Water is bonded for same reasons I just mentioned for the equipotential plane - to bring everything that may become energized to same potential so there is no voltage between any two objects, including the water, that a person may be able to come into contact with simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.