Two hour rated ceiling needing info on can lights and one bath fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

Well guys I'm in a little un-charted territory as I've not done any rated ceilings in a long while and especially a two hour rated one, where we have two layers of 5/8" fire rock on the ceiling, and the construction is open truss floor joist.

To get a variance from the state requirement of a sprinkler system because of the building size is over the 5,000 square foot which would normally require it to be sprinkled but would not require the fire wall separation between the upstairs dwelling and the down stairs light commercial. the state is requiring a two hour barrier between dwelling and store, it's a combined owner operator type building where the owner lives upstairs and runs a small store down stairs.

So I have to figure out my penetrations to make sure they are UL compliant for a two hour rating
One is I have a bathroom downstairs with a shower with no windows so a bath fan will be required, I have used a automatic damper on them before and I think they are rated for up to a rating? has anyone else found anything cheaper or better for a bath fan?

Also I have several recessed 6" can lights I know Prescolite makes a UL classified 2 hour rated can, but not sure if they are still available or if I can locate them in my area as Halo, Thomas, and a few others are more common in this area, does anyone know of any other brands who make cans for 2 hour rated ceilings, the last one I did was 15 years ago and no one made rated cans so we had to build a box using two layers of 5/8" fire rock around each can which was very costly in labor so I'm looking for something a little more cost efficient?

Also I'll be using 4"x4" (1900 box's) with 1 1/4" rings which if I remember right has a two hour rating, is this still true?

One other question is: with the two layers of fire rock on only one side of the wall is it still required to maintain the 24" penetration separation on the opposite side of the wall with other openings such as receptacles or switches, or is there a product that I can put around the box like the putty pads or other fire rated products that would eliminate this requirement as I have a kitchen/break room back to back with the dwelling garage with both having receptacles and switch's on both sides making it almost impossible to keep the 24" separation or even using a different stud space?

Any help would be most appreciated, they funny thing is in most cases here in Indiana very few fire walls are ever required, none in dwellings and most apartment buildings only have the party wall type fire wall required between each unit so we don't get into many firewalls that include a ceiling as most commercial here is only one story or the size require the building to be sprinkled which eliminates most fire walls or ceilings here, but the owner has got this variance to keep cost down but opened a can of worms with other items.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Doesn't a 2 hour wall typically have 2 layers of 5/8 rock on both sides?

A ceiling would need 2 layers each side or 4 layers one side. Anything that penetrates all 4 layers is breaching both sides of barrier and is no longer 2 hour rated at that point (I think).

KWH

Rated Wall

Rated Wall

The ceiling openings, can the framers build a box for your cans and exhaust fans that will be drywalled on the inside so your not penetrating the ceiling.

hurk27

Doesn't a 2 hour wall typically have 2 layers of 5/8 rock on both sides?

A ceiling would need 2 layers each side or 4 layers one side. Anything that penetrates all 4 layers is breaching both sides of barrier and is no longer 2 hour rated at that point (I think).

I believe for each layer of 5/8th drywall or fire rock you have a one hour rating, and 1/2" is a 15 minute rating, might be wrong but this is what our state spec'd.
If you think about it, if the requirement is for two layers of 5/8th on top of the floor joist it wouldn't do much good as if the fire breached the bottom layer as soon as the floor joist failed the top layer would almost fail immediately as there would be nothing holding it up? so that would not make much sense.

The ceiling openings, can the framers build a box for your cans and exhaust fans that will be drywalled on the inside so your not penetrating the ceiling.

We have done this in the past and might be what we will need to do here if I can't find the rated cans, but with open truss floor joist in this ceiling we were told it wasn't going to be cheap and almost imposable to stagger any joints as there is none,

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Like Jumper said, they make some rated covers and they do make a two hour one. you'll have some problems with the fan because of the duct work, which will have to be shafted.

The problem (if it's really a two hour ceiling) is that you have to make a hole bigger than the can to install the fire cover, and the seams of the drywall have to be stagered on a two hour assembly, so you're really creating quite a drywall repair nightmare.

In conclusion, you can probably figure out why there were no can lights there to begin with.

hurk27

Well so far I found Nutone RDA units with a radiation damper for fire rated ceilings UL classified for up to 3 hour rating, guess this will work and the fan housing doesn't have the plastic duct connection piece like most of them do looks all steel, now to locate one.

I just remembered they make fire rated covers for lights and such. Might help, IDK.

http://www.tenmatusa.com/lightcovers.html

http://www.tenmatusa.com/

I saw these and might be an option but as to how do they install when you have open ceilings as it wont be drywalled until after inspections? how do they seal against the drywall?

Remember no back to back boxes in the same stud bay.

This was one of my questions in the OP as only one side is rated the other side is just regular 1/2 drywall, to me if the rated side is breached any opening on the other side is not going to make any difference as the studs will be exposed to the fire? its a strange way to make a fire wall as I have never seen a one sided rated wall but thats the way its drawn up, its only a rated wall from the commercial side to the dwelling side but not visa versa, as the dwelling side is only requires 1/2" drywall single layer 15 min finish?

Yep. Unless you use putty pads I think.
Might still use them to CMA and I think it would be a good idea

Like Jumper said, they make some rated covers and they do make a two hour one. you'll have some problems with the fan because of the duct work, which will have to be shafted.

The problem (if it's really a two hour ceiling) is that you have to make a hole bigger than the can to install the fire cover, and the seams of the drywall have to be staggered on a two hour assembly, so you're really creating quite a drywall repair nightmare.

In conclusion, you can probably figure out why there were no can lights there to begin with.

No drywall or cans because its new construction, so its all being built from the ground up.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
No drywall or cans because its new construction, so its all being built from the ground up.

Sorry, must not have read deep enough, I thought it was a retrofit.:dunce:

I'm kind of wondering about the two layers of 5/8 and one layer of 1/2 too. Not that it really matters, as far as the electrical goes there's really no difference between 1hr and 2hr.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
one more thing that I forgot, it this between units or in the same unit. If it's between units then you will have some sound transmission issues you will have to deal with.

hurk27

one more thing that I forgot, it this between units or in the same unit. If it's between units then you will have some sound transmission issues you will have to deal with.

This is a dwelling being built over a small store like commercial, in Indiana there are no real firewalls until you get into multi-family dwellings and even then its where you have more then one or two units, so basically the only state required firewall is the one on the commercial side to protect the dwelling from a fire in the commercial side, this is an owner operator type set up so noise issues are not a problem, he can yell at his wife to quit partying lol

cowboyjwc

Staff member
This is a dwelling being built over a small store like commercial, in Indiana there are no real firewalls until you get into multi-family dwellings and even then its where you have more then one or two units, so basically the only state required firewall is the one on the commercial side to protect the dwelling from a fire in the commercial side, this is an owner operator type set up so noise issues are not a problem, he can yell at his wife to quit partying lol

:thumbsup: Man, just when I know the answers, you don't really have a problem.:D

hurk27

:thumbsup: Man, just when I know the answers, you don't really have a problem.:D

Oh I had a problem as I have never seen anything done like this, kind of flying by the seat of my pants, but today we called a meeting with the Architect, and I had to ask him how a regular bath fan which is shown in the prints for a two hour rated ceiling, and recessed cans also in a two hour ceiling is going to fly, the cans he had listed are not fire rated, so he looked at the print then at the ceiling then at the print, then at me and his face turn beat red, and said I have no idea what I was thinking, I just said "I know" well since the ceiling is 9' in the areas where the bath fan and cans will go I asked if it would be a problem to drop the ceiling down but keep the fire barrier at the bottom of the floor trusses he said that would even be better so he's going to see if the state will allow revised prints this far in the game, the HVAC guys made a mistake also they hung their trunks to the floor truss and didn't put any fire rated drywall up before doing it, so now it all has to come back down.

So we kind of got a blind leading the blind on this one:roll:

To me if this ceiling was fire rated it would have had 2 layers of fire rock from one end of the area to the other without breach of walls or soffits but that is not the way they did it, as the studded walls are nailed right to the floor truss with no drywall above this wall connection, and or fire rock down these walls to a point deemed to give the ceiling a 2 hour rating, other wise a fire can just breach the ceiling at any of these non-protected walls since there is no rock above it?

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Always nice when the arch. misses something that important.

As far as the rating, I would "guess" that the second floor is light weight concrete and that will give you your rating too.

kwired

Electron manager
Always nice when the arch. misses something that important.

As far as the rating, I would "guess" that the second floor is light weight concrete and that will give you your rating too.
I understand it to be wood truss floor joists - he did not say what the floor on top of them is composed of. Fire resistance of underside is (like he mentioned) more critical, as once this truss burns enough it will collapse even if the fire has not penetrated the floor yet.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I understand it to be wood truss floor joists - he did not say what the floor on top of them is composed of. Fire resistance of underside is (like he mentioned) more critical, as once this truss burns enough it will collapse even if the fire has not penetrated the floor yet.

And that's why I said "I guess". Every fire rated floor, wall, ceiling is an assembly of some sort. While 5/8 drywall + a wood 2x4 + 5/8 drywall may be a one hour wall if the studs are 16" on center it may not be if the studs are 24" on center.

While, in answering his question, what the floor is made of is not really that important, I was trying to help him understand where the rating may have come from.

Status
Not open for further replies.