410.24 B access hole size etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

forabit

Has anyone had a ruling or specifics on the size of opening for box "access"?.
What if the the luminaire (8' florescent) is narrower than the 4/0 box cover?
If the hole is punched to trade size 2", the integrity of the Lumy with be completely compromised to the point of bending in 2 if it is removed.
They are "listed" as "surface mount"
installed on the surface of concrete.

Strife

Has anyone had a ruling or specifics on the size of opening for box "access"?.
What if the the luminaire (8' florescent) is narrower than the 4/0 box cover?
If the hole is punched to trade size 2", the integrity of the Lumy with be completely compromised to the point of bending in 2 if it is removed.
They are "listed" as "surface mount"
installed on the surface of concrete.

Accessible DOES NOT mean without effort(that's why we have "READILY ACCESSIBLE").
What about ALL the lights that are installed on boxes(exit signs, emergency lights, sconces, coach lights, etc, etc)? They fall under the same logic you're using.
YES, you have to remove the light to have access to the box.
If the fixture is narrower than the box, I would use a blank cover and put a 1/2" chase nipple in the middle.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Normally one sees a 2" hole in the back but I have not seen anything that requires that. IMO, not necessarily the codes meaning, is if the conductors can pass thru without splice I don't see where it is a big issue.

forabit

Accessible DOES NOT mean without effort(that's why we have "READILY ACCESSIBLE").
What about ALL the lights that are installed on boxes(exit signs, emergency lights, sconces, coach lights, etc, etc)? They fall under the same logic you're using.
YES, you have to remove the light to have access to the box.
If the fixture is narrower than the box, I would use a blank cover and put a 1/2" chase nipple in the middle.

You are referring to lights that are attached to the box. I am talking about lights attached to the structure. Sorry about the confusion.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The conductors in the box are required to be accessible after the installation of a surface mounted fixture and without removing the fixture. A 1/2" chase nipple in the back of the fixture is no longer compliant.

1100705630_2.jpg

Strife

The conductors in the box are required to be accessible after the installation of a surface mounted fixture and without removing the fixture. A 1/2" chase nipple in the back of the fixture is no longer compliant.

1100705630_2.jpg

So HOW do we install wallpacks and be code compliant?

kwired

Electron manager
Back to the original question:
ruling or specifics on the "size" of opening

It does not give any specific size of opening.

(B) Access to Boxes. Electric-discharge and LED luminaires surface mounted over concealed outlet, pull, or junction boxes and designed not to be supported solely by the outlet box shall be provided with suitable openings in the back of the luminaire to provide access to the wiring in the box

About a 2" opening is not too bad to work with in most cases, but it still is not specified

Status
Not open for further replies.