Three circuits in one outlet box

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallfish

Does this installation break any code rule and if so which one?

Three 20 amp 120 volt individual branch circuits are required for three microwaves on a countertop.
I've run a multiwire branch circuit (120/208 volt) to a four inch square box. On a raised cover are two duplex receptacles. I plan to break the tab on the hot-side bus of both duplex receptacles and land the three hot conductors each to a receptacle leaving one receptacle without a hot wire. The neutral wire will terminate on the ungrounded side bus without breaking these tabs.
Therefore, there will be three individual receptacles for use.
Thanks

jusme123

Occupation
JW
why not break tab on duplex for two of the ckts and install a single recpt. for the third ckt?

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

Three 20 amp 120 volt individual branch circuits are required for three microwaves on a countertop.
I've run a multiwire branch circuit (120/208 volt) to a four inch square box. On a raised cover are two duplex receptacles. I plan to break the tab on the hot-side bus of both duplex receptacles and land the three hot conductors each to a receptacle leaving one receptacle without a hot wire. The neutral wire will terminate on the ungrounded side bus without breaking these tabs.
Thanks

I don't know about anything else being wrong but if you land the neutral wires on the ungrounded side of the receptacles, that won't work out too well.:p
If you meant grounded side, then why not break the tab on the second receptacle so as not to put any chance of voltage being on the unused half of it.

cadpoint

I'm going to assume a restuarant, then no; plus your local health board might have a say as well.

I don't believe they make a 3 pole GFCI. Everything in commerical kitchen should be GCFI, I might be a Code ahead of you.

While in general, we don't install for the future plus you don't know for sure that this set-up is the final end all. Most commercial microwaves are bigger and draw more, they also make combination microwaves with higher resistive loads.

jmo

kwired

Electron manager
Nothing wrong with it unless GFCI is required then it more of a problem of how to make it work than it is a code violation.

celtic

Everything in commerical kitchen should be GCFI, I might be a Code ahead of you.

2011 NEC said:
210.8(B)
Other Than Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single phase,
15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations
specified in (1) through (8) shall have ground-fault
circuit-interrupter protection for personnel:

(2) Kitchens
This goes back to the '02..210.8(B)...the final number jumps a bit

Buck Parrish

Okay, now I feel left out... hahahah just kidding. A moderator will put both threads togeter shortly.

But when some one starts two threads thats an indication he or she needs to know NOW... hahah So I don't blame them.
No body want to dream about what they have to do tommorow:happyno: Although alot of times I will come in and say I dreamt about it last night. And we are changing plans. hahah. The folks will look at each other and say what are we doing? UMMM welll... The correct way came to Buck in a dream.:D

Buck Parrish

If the voltage was 277 on different phases you ( the OP) would need a devider. Your okay with 120 . But you do have to keep your neutrals straight. If your sharing a neutal you would of course need a two or three pole breaker. Some one will chime in with code references....

Buck Parrish

That would be really annoying if I used it to plug in my battery charger and the came back later and found my battery dead.
PHP:

He obviously meant :happyyes: Well I'm pretty sure he would put one neutral under each screw after the tab is broke. But if the breaker trips they, too will both trip , hahaha:happyyes:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
where does it say anything about a kitchen in the original post #1?

It doesn't, but It might be decent assumption. :)

Thanks

This is fine as long as the neutral is pigtailed to the devices and terminates on the silver screw.

Status
Not open for further replies.