Direction in Kitchen Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hi all,

I'm looking for opinions to what fixture to use for kitchen down lights.

I installed lighting in this kitchen some 15 yrs. ago.

It's some type of Italian low voltage trapeze system. Two cables running down the length of one side of the kitchen, mr-16's clip on the cable and are directional (which was nice).

The owner wants a change and wants to go for down lights.

The ceiling is sheetrock over plaster (if memory serves me correctly), not sure if it was furred down.

I must do some research on what fixtures are available these days (meaning, I'm pretty sure br40's 150w are a thing of the past) . 4,5,6,8".....adjustable.....low-high voltage, dimmable ???

Maybe a commercial fixture?

Swivel type bright white light that you may see at a car dealership or office wall washing????

Will do some googleing, any opinions welcome.

Thank you.

Rp

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Hi all,

I'm looking for opinions to what fixture to use for kitchen down lights.

Swivel type bright white light that you may see at a car dealership or office wall washing????
No. Please don't.

Will do some googleing, any opinions welcome.

Thank you.

Rp
I used 6" cans in my kitchen, and plane jane Halo 301P trims.

I stayed away from any runway style or grid layout. Instead I walked around the kitchen placing cans on the floor to decide where they would work best.

The result- I have a well lit kitchen. So good that the under-cabinet lights only get used for night lights.

By the way- If I wired the kitchen, hung the sheetrock and cabinets, painted and trimmed the place, and prepare more than half the meals, how come my wife always refers to it as "her kitchen"?

ritelec

By the way- If I wired the kitchen, hung the sheetrock and cabinets, painted and trimmed the place, and prepare more than half the meals, how come my wife always refers to it as "her kitchen"?

That's funny,...........................how true.

Thank you for the input.
I agree. I also believe some well placed "regular" recessed would work well. My only concern is an area by the sink. With the way the room is shaped and the area, there is about a 3' (width) X 10' (length) area of floor space as you face
the sink (kinda like a galley). Directly behind you across the whole wall are built in floor to ceiling cabinets.

I'm concerned that the lights installed overhead over the sink countertop area will not project enough behind you where the floor to ceiling wall of cabinets are. Adding a few over that wall would help, but she doesn't want to clutter up
the ceiling (and the spacing of the downlights in that "width" area may be too close and look stupid, but may be exceptable ???).

That was partly the reason I was thinking of a directional fixture, installed at kitchen sink counter side aimed across to the wall floor to ceiling cabinet side (behind you).

Looking around... I'm only seeing fixtures that aim 30-35 degrees, which I don't think would reach, and to me with these fixtures any aiming would direct the light into the ceiling (housing) because the bulb is recessed.

Looking for a fixture that is directional, but that the bulb would be more flush with the ceiling when pointed straight down and come alittle out of the ceiling when directed.
In my minds eye, I thinking the fixture would hold something like a par 36???

I just looked at lightolier site again and saw trims for a slope ceiling..............wonder if that may work???

Maybe straight down lights strategically placed ?????

Thanks for the return call................Happy Friday!!!!

220/221

5" or 6" recessed cans w/ 75W PAR30 halogen lamps & dimmers. If the ceiling is sloped, used regressed eyeball trims (the eyeball is up inside the can)

Place the cans right above the edge of the counter space (about 20-24" from the wall). Put the light where you need it.

Last edited:

stickboy1375

5" or 6" recessed cans w/ 75W halogen lamps & dimmers. If the ceiling is sloped, used regressed eyeball trims (the eyeball is up inside the can)

Place the cans right above the edge of the counter space (about 20-24" from the wall). Put the light where you need it.

Exactly! except, stay away from 6" cans, you can get the same lamp in a 5" can and not have the meteor looking ceiling effect, 6" cans should be tossed back to the 80's....

KVA

I always do 5 inch cans in the kitchen with CFL or Halogens. If they want a dimmer go with Halogens and no dimmer use CFL. Most people don't need to dim lights in the kitchen because your cooking and doing other tasks so you need it well lit.

The main thing you have to do your homework on is the layout of the cans. Too far apart you have darker spots...too close you have bright spots.

Also 10' or higher go with 6 inch cans.

ritelec

Thank you for the replies.

I resolved myself to go with the suggested 75w PAR30's.

In my head, figured layout, cutting, patching, painting.......... to discuss numbers.

Turned into a nice job.

Met with the home owner Saturday and brought a test lamp.

Down lights immediately took the back burner (without even discussing what I was going to propose ....Ha ha...............)
So we will remove the two trapeze LV mr-16's and replace with two 120v tracks and fixtures.

Less material, less labor, but I reckon the right job for this install.

Note: Wow...these existing hanging mr-16's hang about 12" below the ceiling, exposed except for the glass over the face of the bulb.
Above the bulb at the ceiling the ceiling was becoming discolored (this was about 2 yrs ago).
When I went there Sat., the discoloration above the bulbs at the ceiling was not discolored anymore but actually charred black.

ultra dry and burning sheetrock even thru paint????
carbon ???????
pyrophoric carbonization ????????

interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.