Loading 2-wire outlets from GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

shockin

I understand that 406.4 allows me to replace a 2 wire receptacle with a GFCI. My question is, can you connect additional existing 2 wire receptacles to the load side of the GFCI.

For some reason I was thinking you couldn't do that, but I can't find a code reference. Maybe it was in the manufactures directions?

Thanks in advance.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I see no reason why you could not do that. It would provide GFCI protection for the downstream outlets, and that is the best you can offer in a situation that does not allow you to pull new EGCs.

kwired

Electron manager
You are allowed to connect grounding type receptacles to load side of GFCI that have no equipment grounding conductor. This is essentially what is happening at the GFCI receptacle you replaced the two wire receptacle with also.

You could also protect an entire circuit of 2 wire receptacles with a GFCI circuit breaker.

GFCI's and no equipment ground is not the ultimate installation - it is just the best possible compromise there is to not having an equipment grounding conductor.

jumper

2011 NEC

404.6(D)(2)(c) A non–grounding-type receptacle(s) shall be permitted
to be replaced with a grounding-type receptacle(s)
where supplied through a ground-fault circuit interrupter.
Grounding-type receptacles supplied through the groundfault
circuit interrupter shall be marked “GFCI Protected”
and “No Equipment Ground.” An equipment grounding
conductor shall not be connected between the groundingtype
receptacles.

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
2011 NEC

404.6(D)(2)(c) A non?grounding-type receptacle(s) shall be permitted
circuit interrupter shall be marked ?GFCI Protected?
and ?No Equipment Ground.? An equipment grounding
receptacles.

It would be so much easier if we could indicate 'GFCI Protected' and 'No Equipment Ground' on the face plate instead of the receptacles.

:happyyes:

kwired

Electron manager
2011 NEC

404.6(D)(2)(c) A non?grounding-type receptacle(s) shall be permitted
circuit interrupter shall be marked ?GFCI Protected?
and ?No Equipment Ground.? An equipment grounding
receptacles.

Does not really apply to the OP's question. Although my previous reply kind of doesn't entirely apply either. I will try to straighten out what I said a little.

He is asking if it is acceptable to supply 2 wire receptacles from the load side of a GFCI.

He will not find anything in the NEC that specifically addresses this.(I think)

All new circuits are required to have equipment grounding conductor. A non grounding receptacle is allowed only because it was code compliant at the time of its installation, and is still allowed to be replaced with a 2 wire receptacle, or provide GFCI protection as a kind of compromise. Then we complicate it even more by adding tamper resistant requirements and maybe even weather resistant requirements which you probably will not find either of those in a two wire receptacle.

Certain receptacles are required to have GFCI protection. Has little to do with whether there is an equipment grounding conductor or not. You can provide GFCI protection to 2 wire circuits all you want, and probably should for safety's sake.

jumper

Does not really apply to the OP's question. Although my previous reply kind of doesn't entirely apply either. I will try to straighten out what I said a little.

He is asking if it is acceptable to supply 2 wire receptacles from the load side of a GFCI.

He will not find anything in the NEC that specifically addresses this.(I think)

All new circuits are required to have equipment grounding conductor. A non grounding receptacle is allowed only because it was code compliant at the time of its installation, and is still allowed to be replaced with a 2 wire receptacle, or provide GFCI protection as a kind of compromise. Then we complicate it even more by adding tamper resistant requirements and maybe even weather resistant requirements which you probably will not find either of those in a two wire receptacle.

Certain receptacles are required to have GFCI protection. Has little to do with whether there is an equipment grounding conductor or not. You can provide GFCI protection to 2 wire circuits all you want, and probably should for safety's sake.

This is what OP said, nothing about new circuits or extensions.

I understand that 406.4 allows me to replace a 2 wire receptacle with a GFCI. My question is, can you connect additional existing 2 wire receptacles to the load side of the GFCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.