GFCI Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Lets say you have a junction box and it is being used for a central feeder/connection point. In the box you have your power in, light feed & switch, GFCI line and GFCI load, and feed to other receps from the GFCI load. What would happen if instead of taking the neutral from the GFCI load straight to what it feeds you tied all the neutrals together in the jb?
Would the GFCI work? This would all be one circuit, not a MWBC.

hurk27

Now lets say you kept the load neutral separate from the line neutral but still tied it to the neutrals feeding the lights, since the hot feeding the switch for the lights does not run through the GFCI coil, as soon as the lights are turned on it will trip the GFCI as the GFCI will only see the load on the neutral but not the hot so it will act as an imbalance and trip.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Also the gfci measure the current in and current out. If the neutral was connected ahead of the gfci out then the gfci would read an imbalance and trip.

hurk27

Here is a PDF that was published by Sam Goldwasser many years ago that explains how GFCI's function, and is a good read on the subject.
Anyone who remembers Sam Facts wiring diagrams for about every thing electronic will remember Sam Goldwasser.

Attachments

• GFCI_by_Sam_Goldwasser.pdf
    54.7 KB · Views: 0

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I know how a GFCI works, I couldn't make myself understand what would happen in my scenario. MWBC kept popping in my head but I knew this scenario didn't include one.
I shouldn't think this hard on a weekend.:happysad:

Status
Not open for further replies.