NEC PDF version

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjoseph

I need to pick up the NEC 2011 I plan on buying a hard copy but also want a PDF version, does anyone know where I can purchase a PDF version from ?

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I need to pick up the NEC 2011 I plan on buying a hard copy but also want a PDF version, does anyone know where I can purchase a PDF version from ?

Thanks

Many of the books included a free download of the pdf. In the book was a code to use to download. I know someone who bought the book that was supposed to have the pdf file. It did not. He call nfpa and then set him up for a free download.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I might add, that while nice to have the free PDF version, the security placed on it makes it cumbersum. When you download it and open the first time you better be sure that's the machine you want to use it from as you can't move it or have on more than one machine. NFPA needs to get more creative/flexible in the terms of use.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I might add, that while nice to have the free PDF version, the security placed on it makes it cumbersum. When you download it and open the first time you better be sure that's the machine you want to use it from as you can't move it or have on more than one machine. NFPA needs to get more creative/flexible in the terms of use.

I haven't had that problem. I have it on my computer, and on a flash drive that I have copied to a couple of other computers. The secured version is aggravating because you cant copy and paste, but finding the articles is easier with the expandable bookmarks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The old Visio versions were the best. You could bookmark & highlight to your heart's content. The bad part was the CD was required to be in the tray.

The 2008 Folio Views version was the best. The book could be loaded onto two computers (more if you called the NFPA;)) and the search was lightning fast. The latest pdf setup really stinks. The handbook is even worse where a search of the 1100+ pages takes f o r e v e r......:rant:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Be warned, if you give NPFA your street address you will get reams of junk mail. For this reason I actually wish I hadn't acquired the PDF.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The 2008 Folio Views version was the best. The book could be loaded onto two computers (more if you called the NFPA;)) and the search was lightning fast. The latest pdf setup really stinks. The handbook is even worse where a search of the 1100+ pages takes f o r e v e r......:rant:

Does anyone know why they stopped the CD Folio version?
Folio was the best.

Hey pjoseph not sure how interested you would be on utilizing an online version, but I have been using it to study the NEC in depth and it has really been great. Can access it anywhere there is internet connection and there are many many extras with it. I find it quite helpful. Especially for a novice like myself.

Well that was the sell LOL :lol:

Here's the link

http://www.necplus.org/Pages/Default.aspx?sso=0

Hope it helps.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Hey pjoseph not sure how interested you would be on utilizing an online version, but I have been using it to study the NEC in depth and it has really been great. Can access it anywhere there is internet connection and there are many many extras with it. I find it quite helpful. Especially for a novice like myself.

Well that was the sell LOL :lol:

Here's the link

http://www.necplus.org/Pages/Default.aspx?sso=0

Hope it helps.

I also like to use NEC Plus for research. But I would caution anyone that is going to sit for an exam to be careful. One needs to learn to be able to find their way around quickly in the NEC in paper format in an exam evironment. I always encourage guys to get a soft bound NEC while learning the trade so they can learn to quickly thumb through to find what they need. IMO, PDF, the Handbook and hard bound are great, but for exams you can't beat the softbound version.

I also like to use NEC Plus for research. But I would caution anyone that is going to sit for an exam to be careful. One needs to learn to be able to find their way around quickly in the NEC in paper format in an exam evironment. I always encourage guys to get a soft bound NEC while learning the trade so they can learn to quickly thumb through to find what they need. IMO, PDF, the Handbook and hard bound are great, but for exams you can't beat the softbound version.

Thanks for the word of advice texie. I guess there is yet ANOTHER book to put my mind in to!! ;)

480sparky

I've preferred the looseleaf, even for taking tests.

pjoseph

Thanks for the replies,

DelightedInYahweh: I followed the link you provided and it looks like its $130 for the year to access? just want to make sure im not missing anything.

Looking on Amazon they have the NEC 2011 but it says (International Electric Code) do they all say that I dont recall if my 2008 copy does, its not with me right now to check.

Just want to make sure im buying the correct one. A searchable pdf, would be great but does not seem like a sure way to get one based on the comments.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.