Poke Holes in my Odd Heavy-up Plan (Please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
The situation is a standard heavy-up with two wrinkles.

1) The meter can is in such bad shape that the PoCo doesn't want to even touch it while live, so it MUST be replaced.
2) The service lateral runs under the house (addition was put over it), so PoCo wants to move the meter from rear to side of house.

My dilema is that I'm a one-man show. Normally, I would just install the new meter and service and temp it with a long piece of SE cable until the PoCo comes back to put in the final lateral to the new location. Because of the meter location (about a foot off the ground) and it's condition, I can't do this. So, here's my plan.

I installed the new meter can, outside disconnect and feeder to the new service panel (the new panel is right next to the old working one).

My screwy plan is to move all the circuits from the old 100A panel to the new panel and do a temporary feed (#3 wires in Sealtite) from the old panel 100A CB to the new panel (into a backfed 100A CB with a retaining clip). So, the new panel will be a subpanel to the old panel for a week or two until I get it inspected and the PoCo does the final hook-up. On the day of the final hookup, I will remove the Sealtite feed.

The only possible violation of this setup that comes to mind during the temporary period would be the grounding. I did a 4 wire feed for the temp, so there is no parallel path, it's just a subpanel with it's own GES. I also locked the 200A main off in the new panel so it can't backfeed to the disconnect outside. I can't see this as a violation, but I hate doing something completely new without running it by someone first.

Let the rock throwing begin and thanks for reading all that.

Mark

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
...Let the rock throwing begin...
Hmmm... if the new service has an outside disconnect, that's where you need to connect the GES. The new panel will still be a "subpanel" after the new service is connected. Also, depending on your equipment's configuration, connecting the "new" GES at the outside disconnect now may connect it to the grounded conductor... thereby creating a parallel neutral path.

Last edited:

growler

The only possible violation of this setup that comes to mind during the temporary period would be the grounding. I did a 4 wire feed for the temp, so there is no parallel path, it's just a subpanel with it's own GES. I also locked the 200A main off in the new panel so it can't backfeed to the disconnect outside. I can't see this as a violation, but I hate doing something completely new without running it by someone first.

In this area you couldn't get final on a job like this in one trip from the inspector anyway so I wouldn't worry about trying to pass inspection for a final.

What we do is get a "temporary" power release. We sign saying that we will be responsible for the temp. installation and the inspector looks at what you have done and what you plan to do and maybe talks over the plans and you can get power connected without the job being completed. The final is then scheduled for a later date.

I would probably try to build the new service along with grounding and SER feeder to where the new panel will go ( same place as the old one ) and be prepared to do a panel change. When they are there to knock power down and change to the underground laterial I would be swapping out the panel. All you need is permission for the power company to hook up and you can use the outside disconnect to keep things safe while you are working on the panel swap.

By the time the inspector comes back for the final you have completely eliminated the old service and everything looks like new.

I don't know how things are done in Virginia so see if a temp power release is offered and if so that's what you want. Here that cost extra but is worth it.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Smart$,

You helped me to see what's been nagging me. I need to disconnect the MBJ in the outside disconnect while the Temp is in place to prevent multiple neutral paths. With that disconnected, the whole setup is like a subpanel in a detached building that has it's own GES. The original GES will remain connected to the old panel during the Temp.

Around here I can get a "Temporary for Permanent" inspection that will initiate the PoCo work.

Thanks to both of you.

Mark

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... I need to disconnect the MBJ in the outside disconnect while the Temp is in place to prevent multiple neutral paths. With that disconnected, the whole setup is like a subpanel in a detached building that has it's own GES. The original GES will remain connected to the old panel during the Temp.

But it is not a subpanel in a detached building. Code requires the GES bonded to the service grounded conductor at the disconnect.

Last edited:

renosteinke

I recently dealt with a similar situation. Here's what I did:

I installed the new service, wit a ground rod near it.
I connected the ground rods of the new and the old service (11-ft apart).

I opened the interior wall and raised the old panel in the house to a height somewhat above the usual; some breakers were above the 6-1/2' height allowed.

I set the new panel and ran feeders to the new service.
I had the PoCo move their wires to the new service.

Now, I had only a brief period 'without power' as I removed the old panel, and connected the branch circuits to the new panel.

Last, I patched the big hole I had made above the new panel, and demo'd the old service.

Status
Not open for further replies.