Commercial Water Heater Overcurrent Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-1Sparky

I've got a 120KW water heater with a nameplate load of 144 amps. The elements are individually fused at 60 amps. The main feed is 2/0 THHN fused at 200 amps. I'm wondering if the 200 amp fusing is code compliant based on the nameplate load and the 2/0 conductors. Because the 2/0s are rated for 175 amps and the elements are individually fused, I think the installation is fine. However, is it code compliant?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I think this violates 240.4. The 2/0 is not properly protected at 200A.

If the load is considered continuous, the the 2/0 also violates 422.10(A).

A-1Sparky

Or does the OCP have to be sized at 125% of continuous load? If so, I'd have to stay with the 200Amp fuses and upsize to 3/0. Is that correct? Thanks.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Or does the OCP have to be sized at 125% of continuous load? If so, I'd have to stay with the 200Amp fuses and upsize to 3/0. Is that correct? Thanks.

See 422.13. If this is a storage type water heater with 120 gallons or less, then you'd have to size it as a continuous load and increase the circuit conductors to 3/0.

If this is a storage type water heater with more than 120 gallons, or if it is an instantaneous type water heater, you could reduce the fuses to 175A.

Status
Not open for further replies.