GEC connection points

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIC1958

There seems to be lots of debate on this subject and or ways of interpertation. If the first means of disconnect are at the panel, you are allowed to terminate the GEC in the panel. If the first means of disconnect are at the meter you are allowed to terminate the GEC in the meter can. Can the GEC from the ground rod terminate in the meter can AND panel and still be code compliant regardless of where the first means of disconnect are? I understand that the point of termination must be accessible, I am interperting that the meter can IS considered accessible.

VIC1958

I see what you are saying about the singular part of 250.24(a)(1), but can you direct me in the code where it states specifically that you can not do what I had posted earlier. I wish the code was a little bit more black and white on this. I have talked to 6 JHA and have gotten 6 different interpertations. Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you connect a GEC from an electrode to the meter enclosure and then another GEC to the service disconnect, the two GEC's will be in parallel with the service neutral and will allow objectionable current flow.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Exactly I was going to add that, but the neutral is bonded in the service and meter and it may be in parallel with a bonding path.
I feel the code is clear on the GEC question you have raised. And why bond it in more than one location? Is this a time and materials job?

stickboy1375

If the meter contains the disconnect, then you have to land the GEC at this location... It cannot be made after the first disconnect, but I will add, it can be anywhere before the disconnect as well.
503ecm17fig1.jpg

Last edited:

marti smith

VIC1958, Think of your service as all one unit. In the above posted illustration, 1, 2, and 3 make up the service. If you had a panelboard with a main in place of point 3 of the above, it would still be your service, and just about any other variation as well. The panelboard in the picture where it is is the "point beyond the service" where you keep your N and G isolated. Think of the meter can, often with a clip behind one of the terminals for the grounded conductor bonding it to the can (often but not always). The service disconnect is then bonded as well, all as one unit, the service as a whole. If you do terminate your GEC in the fashion you noted, hitting all the enclosures that make up your service, IMHO you have a redundant ground, further solidifying your metallic enclosures as one unit, as long as thereafter isolated. For more than one disco means at an assembly, an exception permits the grounded conductor to be run to the assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.