Non-grounded wiring and GFCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky555

Would someone be so kind as to point out NEC chapter and verse regarding the requirement to add GFCIs to wiring without a ground (if not rewiring)?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Would someone be so kind as to point out NEC chapter and verse regarding the requirement to add GFCIs to wiring without a ground (if not rewiring)?
If you are not making wiring or device changes, there is no rule that requires the addition of GFCI protection.

raider1

Staff member
I will agree with Don, but add that the GFCI requirement that you are asking about is for replacement of non-grounding type receptacles with grounding type receptacles.

Here is what the code says in section 406.4(D)(2);

(b) A non?grounding-type receptacle(s) shall be permitted
to be replaced with a ground-fault circuit interruptertype
of receptacle(s). These receptacles shall be marked
?No Equipment Ground.? An equipment grounding conductor
shall not be connected from the ground-fault circuitinterrupter-
type receptacle to any outlet supplied from the
ground-fault circuit-interrupter receptacle.
(c) A non?grounding-type receptacle(s) shall be permitted
to be replaced with a grounding-type receptacle(s)
where supplied through a ground-fault circuit interrupter.
Grounding-type receptacles supplied through the groundfault
circuit interrupter shall be marked ?GFCI Protected?
and ?No Equipment Ground.? An equipment grounding
conductor shall not be connected between the groundingtype
receptacles.

Chris

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
And please allow me to point out that the text that Chris quoted is written in the context of "it shall be permitted." That means you don't have to do it any particular one way; you have choices.

Sparky555

Thank you. That is the text I was looking for. Now that I read it though it seems not to apply to the following situation:

Exterior outlets are wired with an open ground and GFCIs have been installed on this open-ground wiring.

It is my understanding that GFCIs do not need grounding to provide protection from electrocution. Is there any documentation to support that this is safe and does not need to be rewired?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I always love old ungrounded outdoor GFCI's with a metal flip cover. Kneel on the damp ground, hold the cover open, insert one of these and press the test button. :jawdrop:

7594.gif

jumper

One thing to note is that if replacing a receptacle in an area that currently requires GFCI protection, protection must be provided whether a grounding conductor is present or not.

2011 NEC

406.4(D)(3) Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupters. Ground-fault
circuit-interrupter protected receptacles shall be provided
where replacements are made at receptacle outlets that are
required to be so protected elsewhere in this Code.

480sparky

I always love old ungrounded outdoor GFCI's with a metal flip cover. Kneel on the damp ground, hold the cover open, insert one of these and press the test button. :jawdrop:

7594.gif

Perhaps we should have the NEC outlaw receps near water, outlaw metal boxes & covers, outlaw plug-in testers and outlaw electricity. :lol:

rcarroll

One thing to note is that if replacing a receptacle in an area that currently requires GFCI protection, protection must be provided whether a grounding conductor is present or not.

2011 NEC

406.4(D)(3) Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupters. Ground-fault
circuit-interrupter protected receptacles shall be provided
where replacements are made at receptacle outlets that are
required to be so protected elsewhere in this Code.
And, if under the '11 code, it has to be tamper resistant as well. 406.4(D)(5)

Status
Not open for further replies.