Outbside feeders and branch circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
We recently installed a 600 amp outdoor service at a farm. We installed underground to a number of outbuildings. The one in question is a pole building. Some people have told me the inspector will require a disconnect within 8 feet of where we penetrated the building. I say I'm not so sure. I have not talked to the inspector yet, but I am willing to bet he is referencing 225.32. That article then refers you to 230.6. The Wisconsin amendments to the NEC include this about service entrance conductors entering a building.

This is a department rule in addition to the requirements of NEC
230.70 (A): Raceways containing service conductors or cables, or
service entrance cable not contained within a raceway, may not extend
longer than 8 feet into a building to the service disconnect or the
first service disconnect of a group of disconnects as permitted by NEC
230.71. The raceways or conductors shall be considered to have entered
the building at the point where they pass through the outer surface of
the building exterior, except as permitted by NEC 230.6.

Now I can understand how the inspector might come to this conclusion, but I think it is a reach. Just because 225.32 refers you to 230.6 does not make them service conductors. Or does it?
These conductors clearly fit the definition of feeders and not service entrance conductors in my view.

We are under 2008 NEC.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
225.32 basically has the same wording as 230.709(A)(1).
The similarity between Art 225 and 230 will lead many inspectors to treat them the same.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Look at 225.33 and 225.34 . Each building is under the same rules as a service for disconnect means. You may also use the 6 throw rule.

Gus edit your post article #

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
I agree the other rules in 225, except for length inside of a building, which the NEC does not specify. The Wisconsin amendments refer only to length of service conductors, not feeders.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree the other rules in 225, except for length inside of a building, which the NEC does not specify. The Wisconsin amendments refer only to length of service conductors, not feeders.
Since Wisconsin modified the rule for service and the feeder article references that then IMO the feeder is under the same regulation. That is the intent in the NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.