GFCI breaker for swimming pool sub panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickyboothe

An inground swimming pool with a spa ,light, filter motor , circulating motor and disinfectant light is served by a computer controlled sub panel with (3) 2 pole 20 amp circuit breakers and (2) 1 pole circuit breakers. None of these are GFCI circuit breakers. GFCI protection is from the main panel by way of a 50 amp 2 pole GFCI . Is this correct

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO that does not qualify as compliance with art. 680.23(A)(3) which calls for the gfci to be in the branch circuit. I also think it makes for a tough job trouble shooting. Many inspectors will accept the install and it probably does meet the intent.

stickboy1375

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree with Dennis. 680.22 and 23 both reference branch-circuit GFCI protection. Technicality to say the least, but, as he mentioned a feeder GFCI protection can be a bit more of a trouble-shooting problem. In addition the feeder GFCI would react to the additive sum of small leakage in all circuits where as the branch circuit GFCI only monitors it's one circuit thus less likely to nuisance trip..

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
In addition the feeder GFCI would react to the additive sum of small leakage in all circuits where as the branch circuit GFCI only monitors it's one circuit thus less likely to nuisance trip..

Gus said nuisance trip!!!!!!!!
I'm telling.........
Everybody knows there is no nuisance trip! Just bad equipment! :0)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
True :D

In this case the feeder GFCI would trip with multiple pieces of equipment that were "kinda bad" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.