Can you bond a SDS in a panelboard if it's not service rated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroplaxes

I typical try to do my bonding in the transformer, but I just inherited a job from someone that no longer works with me. He bonded it in the panel. When it came to getting my inspection, the inspector flagged me on bonding a SDS in the Panelboard. The reason he said is the panelboard has to be rated for service equipment in order to bond in it. I was trained to bond in the transformer, so I never looked into what the requirements are for bonding at the panel. I tried to find it in the NEC, but I can't. I plan on changing it to keep on good terms with the inspector, but I'd really like to know why I'm changing it?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I can see that possibility if the panelboard is in a separate structure, but otherwise I would ask for a Code reference.
He might teach both of us something.:D

Electroplaxes

I can see that possibility if the panelboard is in a separate structure, but otherwise I would ask for a Code reference.
He might teach both of us something.:D

No same building, in fact it's in the same room as the the Main service, just on the opposite wall.​

raider1

Staff member
There is no NEC requirement that I am aware of that would require the panelboard to be listed as suitable for use as service equipment if you choose to install the system bonding jumper at the panelboard in accordance with 250.30(A)(1)(b) (2011 NEC).

Chris

raider1

Staff member
are the GEC connections actually made to the ground bar and not the neutral bar in the switchgear?

If your main bonding jumper is a wire or busbar you are permitted to connect the GEC to the equipment grounding terminal, bar or bus in accordance with 250.24(A)(4).

Chris

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I agree, although it might make sense to have such a requirement.

I can't say I have ever seen a PB that was not suitable for use as service equipment.

Oddly, some times the sticker that says so was with the instructions and not stuck on the PB.

I wonder what the difference is between a PB that is suitable for use as service equipment and one that is not.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I can't say I have ever seen a PB that was not suitable for use as service equipment.

Oddly, some times the sticker that says so was with the instructions and not stuck on the PB.

I wonder what the difference is between a PB that is suitable for use as service equipment and one that is not.

The sticker :D

Actually, the only difference I've seen is that some manufacturers don't include a bond strap in the ones that are not SUSE, also I believe on larger boards there may not be a neurtal link to meet 230.75

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If your main bonding jumper is a wire or busbar you are permitted to connect the GEC to the equipment grounding terminal, bar or bus in accordance with 250.24(A)(4).

Chris
For the sake of consistency in terminology, it is called the System Bonding Jumper regarding an SDS

raider1

Staff member
For the sake of consistency in terminology, it is called the System Bonding Jumper regarding an SDS

I agree, but the picture in question is the service disconnecting means and I was referring to 250.24(A)(4) in regards to the picture and main bonding jumper. The SDS in the picture had the system bonding jumper installed at the panel and no indication of a connection to the grounding electrode system.

Chris

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I agree, but the picture in question is the service disconnecting means and I was referring to 250.24(A)(4) in regards to the picture and main bonding jumper.
Okay.

The SDS in the picture had the system bonding jumper installed at the panel and no indication of a connection to the grounding electrode system.
Should be as such...

SDSBonding2.gif

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
There are two types of listings for panels
Approved for use as a service disconnecting means - the neutral can be bonded (most common type)
Approved for use as a service disconnecting means only - the neutral is always bonded

Not sure where the AHJ is coming from but he may be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.