Insulated Throat Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They're designed to keep the conductors from getting damaged when pulling them in EMT or are part of a MC, AC or similar connector.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
They're designed to keep the conductors from getting damaged when pulling them in EMT or are part of a MC, AC or similar connector.

Thanks infinity. That is the main and/or only reason they are used? Thanks. So they don't break the continuity of the pipe and whatver it is being connected to? Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The insulated throat is on the inside of the connector, insulated throat EMT connectors can be used in lieu of connectors and bushings.

820ART.jpg

stevebea

Don't both serve the same puspose....protect the conductors? Thanks.

I do quite a bit of service work in a facility that was piped and insulated throat connectors were used. The insulated throat seems prone to popping out of the connector. I have pulled alot of devices out over the years only to find the insulated throat laying in the box.

sii

I do quite a bit of service work in a facility that was piped and insulated throat connectors were used. The insulated throat seems prone to popping out of the connector. I have pulled alot of devices out over the years only to find the insulated throat laying in the box.

I've used them a few times, never spec'd them but supply house was out of the norm. The plastic insert occasionally pops out when pulling the tip of the fish tape through. They just seem kinda pointless to me but I always figured they were just supposed to be a time-saver.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I've used them a few times, never spec'd them but supply house was out of the norm. The plastic insert occasionally pops out when pulling the tip of the fish tape through. They just seem kinda pointless to me but I always figured they were just supposed to be a time-saver.

How are they a time saver? No bushing needed?thanks

You still need a connector right? I know Infinity said they are us in lieu bushing and connector but I would imagine you always need the connector,

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
How are they a time saver? No bushing needed?thanks

You still need a connector right? I know Infinity said they are us in lieu bushing and connector but I would imagine you always need the connector,

Time saved is made up for when the insulated throat pops out and you need to either replace it or add a bushing:happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.