14/2 14/3 romex in residential construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
C'mon, Let's stay with the OP . . . please.

C'mon, Let's stay with the OP . . . please.

Our AHJ has not allowed 14 gage romex for decades. The Ordinance keeping the wiring method as prohibited is now being considered for removal. The pros and cons are being weighed in detail. The question is: Does your AHJ allow 14 gage romex wiring?
and can you share your location, State, county, city?
The State of Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry Electrical Licensing and Inspection is the Statewide AHJ and, as such, uses the un-amended NEC.

Minnesota allows #14 NMB wiring.

There are a smattering of local City AHJs, and, speaking from my experience all over the Twin Cities collection of 30 or so "cities", all allow #14 NMB wiring.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Anchorage local ordinance does not allow #14 NM in residential (as I knew about ten years ago - could be different now). I've never worked or lived there.

At an NEC class I had a pair of inspector sorts tell me that I obviously did not care for my family because the 14 wire would catch fire. Truth - that's what they said. And they actually looked like they believed it to be true.:happyno:

The state of Alaska says 14 is okay.

Interesting note: Same two were explaining that a local ordinance (ANC) prohibited changing wire size in the middle of a run. This was aimed at long runs to a well house or an outbuilding.

So I asked: If I want to run a 120v, 20A circuit 400 feet to an outbuilding for a singe receptacle - maybe #6CU. I likely would put in a jbox with terminal blocks and pull a #12 tap off to the receptacle, and maybe even another #12 tap to a lighting outlet. Tell me, how would you connect the #6 to a receptacle?

Pair: Well that's not the same thing, didn't count.

Me: Okay, so the same scenerio, 400 feet to an outbuilding. The installer has a piece of #6 and piece of #4. Together they are long enough. So a J-box is installled in the center and the switch is made from #4 to #6. What possible difference would that make.

Pair: Well we don't think that is good practice.

Me: Tell me why this is unsafe.

Conversation deteriorated - I obviously did not understand. Which was definitely true.

Got to love moron bureaucrats and those that can convince city councils.:eek:

ice

kwired

Electron manager
At an NEC class I had a pair of inspector sorts tell me that I obviously did not care for my family because the 14 wire would catch fire. Truth - that's what they said. And they actually looked like they believed it to be true.:happyno:

14 AWG is same thing detonation cord is made of;)

stevenje

So I asked: If I want to run a 120v, 20A circuit 400 feet to an outbuilding for a singe receptacle - maybe #6CU. I likely would put in a jbox with terminal blocks and pull a #12 tap off to the receptacle, and maybe even another #12 tap to a lighting outlet. Tell me, how would you connect the #6 to a receptacle?

ice
I am surprised that they didn't tell you, "Just cut some of the stands off the #6 and poke the rest in the hole in the back of the receptacle."

Minuteman

At 3 watts/SF #14 will cover 600 SF, #12 will cover 800 SF. Only certain size houses will have fewer home runs, fewer circuits. For example a 1601 SF to 1800 SF house will need 3 #14 circuits or 3 #12 circuits. But an 1801 to 2400 SF house will need 4 #14 circuits.

I haven't ever wired a 800 sf home. But I figure my 120V circuits differently than you. There's at least 5 kitchen circuits (2 SABC, Fridge, Dish/Disp, and Micro) . Also there is 1 laundry, 1 garage, and 1 if there is gas heat. Depending on the number of baths and if the is HVLs there could be 2-3 bath circuits. Then with beds, living, and general lighting maybe 3 or more. Might even toss in a Christmas circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.