Elevator lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

the blur

I service an elevator, with 3) T12 single flouresent pans. 48" lamps. So there are 3 ballast, and 3 lamps, that burn 24/7. It was done for redundancy back in 1980's. Now that we are looking for energy savings.... what can I legally do inside an elevator ?

It's an office building, which is not used weekends, or after 5pm. But these lights are always burning. Is it legal to put a motion sensor in an elevator ? Do I need 3 ballast, and 3 lamps ? Certainly 2 T8's would light the elevator. What can I do ??

iwire

Staff member
In my state they would hang me if I touch anything past the disconnect switches.

I was once at an office building while a carpet guy was putting a new rug in an elevator. Along comes the elevator guy and he has a conniption, threatened to call everyone but the Governor of the state for this carpet guy doing this work without an elevator guy on site.

the blur

Typical union non-sense.
Back to the question... I can't find a code reference to elevator lighting, but there must be some form of reduncancy required....

WIMaster

Your best bet would be to check the elevator codes for your state.

I highly doubt that anything less than 24/7 would be allowed in WI. As they do require X # of foot candles at the floor in the elevator lobby 24/7 in Mil. WI. from my personal experience with a customer that did not want the lights on 24/7 and an elevator inspector that said too bad. :happysad:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I would look at more efficient lighting, the reason for three separate fixtures is redundancy, a single fixture or lamp going out would reduce light output, but not put the cab in total darkness. Perhaps changing to led replacement tubes would be the answer, but I would run it by the elevator inspector first.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
See ANSI 17.1 (I think) for elevator codes. I agree with Bob, I wouldn't touch anything that is actually elevator equipment including lighting.

Roger

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I don't think saving one or two lamps is going to be worth the effort even if they do burn 24/7.

Now if you had 500 elevators, it might be worth thinking about.

iwire

Staff member
I would not be surprised if the stand by power used by the elevator controls exceeded the power used by the lamps. Having elevators is expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.