Panel mounted sideways

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I agree, yet its done.. but I want to know why it is allowed... because nobody has an issue with it. :) Let me restate what i really want to know... In a lawsuit, where would the blame lie if an accident occurred while doing a cut and reconnect?

Your employer for allowing you to do it.

iwire

Staff member
Thats what I figured... the power company would be sued as well though, no?

I am certainly no lawyer but unless the power company forced you to do it I doubt they would be found responsible.

Just because they allow you to do it is not the same thing as refusing to do it or you which I am sure they would do if prearranged

But lets face it, I am guessing. :)

stickboy1375

I am certainly no lawyer but unless the power company forced you to do it I doubt they would be found responsible.

Just because they allow you to do it is not the same thing as refusing to do it or you which I am sure they would do if prearranged

But lets face it, I am guessing. :)

Im just curious because they have the "cut and reconnect" policy in a hand book, seems they are inviting you to do the work because they don't want to be bothered, not where as, they DONT want you to do it... just leaves the door open in my opinion.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
We might have to do something like that here if the CMP would ever accept my line side barrier proposals. Maybe the breaker manufactuers would make two breakers with the operation of the handle opposite so you could always install a breaker so it was on with the handle in the up position.
I understand your reasons for the proposal, and they are sound, but I really hope I never have to mount a panel sideways.

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
A partial deadfront over the incoming lugs would be a nice compromise, while still allowing a vertical gutter. Some panels already have something like a leg sticking out to help dress the conductors. They would just need a small tapped return to secure the deadfront.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
A partial deadfront over the incoming lugs would be a nice compromise, while still allowing a vertical gutter. Some panels already have something like a leg sticking out to help dress the conductors. They would just need a small tapped return to secure the deadfront.
Something like the arrangement we now have in fused safety switches would work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.