testers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What device do you use to test 13,000 volts with? megger? hot stick?
A voltmeter...

I think a megger works with DC voltage and doesn't measure voltage but I admit I never used one.

A hot stick is worthless to measure voltage since it doesn't measure anything except the presence of voltage and it is often incorrect.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I've used:
Chance phasing set (I've only used the analog - but I've seen a digital). The handles are 6 feet long - really combersome in switchgear

Linemen's Testing Lab
the 15 KV unit is only 30 inches long. Really handy. I like it. If it doesn't flash, the voltage is less than 110V. Pre-test, post-test are a 120v receptacleThis is one of the useless ones that Dennis doesnt't like.

AMEC Non-Contact High Voltage Detector
This is another beeper. 240V up to 275KV. Add your own stick so you can get a short one for the 15kv stuff. I got this one for the substations where we take the service at 69kv. Works great. This is another one of the useless one.

ice

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
What device do you use to test 13,000 volts with? megger? hot stick?

I'm with ice here. I have a chance phasing set, which is essentially a voltmeter. It will give you approximate voltage according to the instructions. I have used one for over 20 years, and can say they are pretty close. Of course, with voltages this high, a couple hundred off isn't a big deal, unless you are zeroing regulators...( we used to use a 600 volt meter for these..)

I have a MRVD also, with a setting to test capacitance points on elbows. (analog)
I can stick this into a PMT, a switch cabinet, an overhead line, and have even used it in a 480 panel to test for voltage, not measure it accurately. Hubbell C403-0979 http://www.hubbellpowersystems.com/...4lib/operating-instructions/P403-2229revB.pdf

Not really wild about the digital, I like to see the needle move.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Sounds like you should not be in the room with the doors off.
A meter on the end of a big stick, lots of rubber, ppe, two men.

Status
Not open for further replies.