Direct Bury Temporary Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
What aluminum direct bury cable would you use for a temporary installation? Is there a AL direct bury cable? Would that be USE or SER? Thanks.

I would imagine this would be the preferred option(economically) rather than PVC and wire. Thanks.

Last edited:

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
This is what I meant to write but could not edit...

Would you use USE or RHH as a AL direct bury cable for a temporary underground install?

I would imagine this would be the preferred option(economically) rather than PVC and wire. Thanks.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
This is what I meant to write but could not edit...

Would you use USE or RHH as a AL direct bury cable for a temporary underground install?

Other things to consider is that direct buried conductors will usually require deeper burial depth than those in raceways. RMC could be as little as 6 inches deep where DB conductors need to be 24 inches deep in most cases.

USE is for direct burial. RHH is likely not - it should at least have a "W" before it can be used underground at all ie. RHW or RHW-2.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Other things to consider is that direct buried conductors will usually require deeper burial depth than those in raceways. RMC could be as little as 6 inches deep where DB conductors need to be 24 inches deep in most cases.

USE is for direct burial. RHH is likely not - it should at least have a "W" before it can be used underground at all ie. RHW or RHW-2.

Thanks...guess it would be the GC who would determine that since they would handle the excavation/ backfill.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks...guess it would be the GC who would determine that since they would handle the excavation/ backfill.

I guess my point was that if you are burying a short run and all that is needed is to keep area free of tripping hazards you may want to consider overall cost of putting it shallow in RMC or IMC vs burying it deeper and direct buried. If you need to later recover what was buried that is something to consider also.

If it doesn't need to be buried you can just put it in PVC or flexible conduit or even a flexible cord or cable assembly on top of ground if it is temporary. You may need to provide additional physical protection in some cases.

How long it is expected to be in use and what damage it may be subjected to also come into play in decision making.

Status
Not open for further replies.