Is a neutral needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
2000a 480v board feeding a 300kva step down xfrmr that feeds a 800a dist. board. Would there be three phase, neutral and ground to the xfrmr? And what about leaving the xfrmr? I thought a neutral was not needed for the xfrmr thus the reason for the question. Thanks.

bob

Neutral not needed to the transformer but you do need an EGC. Usually Tr is connected delta on the primary side. As far as the secondary, You need a neutral if there is load is connected phase to neutral. If not then you only need the phases and the EGC.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Thanks Bob. Just curious, why is a neutral not needed on the primary side?

Also for a 400a feeder what determines whether you use 500mcm or 600mcm? Thanks again.

How is the secondary feeder size calculated?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Not needed.

Calculated load, is it more then 380A?

240.21(C) for protection and 220 calcs for size

Thanks jumper...the 400a feeder is feeding a 800a dist panel via a 300kva transformer. What would the calculated load be? The loads the 800A panel is feeding? Thanks.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
240.21(C) does not allow the provisions of 240.4(B). If you are feeding a 800 amp M/B Panel from a transformer, your conductors have to be rated 800 amps (no "next size up"), normally parallel 600 kcmil Cu

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
240.21(C) does not allow the provisions of 240.4(B). If you are feeding a 800 amp M/B Panel from a transformer, your conductors have to be rated 800 amps (no "next size up"), normally parallel 600 kcmil Cu

Thanks Augie. Question- so when parallel sets terminates in main breaker switchboard do two phases(hots) terminate under each lug?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Thanks Bob. Just curious, why is a neutral not needed on the primary side?

Also for a 400a feeder what determines whether you use 500mcm or 600mcm? Thanks again.

How is the secondary feeder size calculated?
For this part of your question I assign you homework. Do and internet search for a delta wye transformer diagram. Remember that physically each delta coil is lined up with one of the wye coils. Electrically they are wired in the configuation shown. That is why a 480v delta to 120/208 wye is actually 3 sets of coils with a 4-1 ratio that are 480 volt to 120 volt coils. While I can't imagine why you woul do this, you could theortically have a Wye Wye transformer. In that case the coils would be 277 volts to 120 volts and you would run the neutral.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
For this part of your question I assign you homework. Do and internet search for a delta wye transformer diagram. Remember that physically each delta coil is lined up with one of the wye coils. Electrically they are wired in the configuation shown. That is why a 480v delta to 120/208 wye is actually 3 sets of coils with a 4-1 ratio that are 480 volt to 120 volt coils. While I can't imagine why you woul do this, you could theortically have a Wye Wye transformer. In that case the coils would be 277 volts to 120 volts and you would run the neutral.

Thanks Strat I will....I'll get back to you.

Besoeker

Thanks Strat I will....I'll get back to you.
Here's one I did earlier. Any help to you?

ThreeppaseWYE-1.jpg

The delta primary is on the left. As I said, there's nowhere to connect a neutral on the delta.

Status
Not open for further replies.