Buck-boost transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

j rae

Our power voltage is 208v. The new equipment requires 240v +/- 10%. We have 204v at the outlet. The company has instaled a buck-bost trans. out of the panel and then back throug the panel to feed the outlet the now 240v. Is alowed ??? Artical number please. THANKS

iwire

Staff member
It is allowed.

As far as an Article number I can't give you one that allows it but more importantly there is no Article prohibits it.

What are you specifically concerned with?

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Our power voltage is 208v. The new equipment requires 240v +/- 10%. We have 204v at the outlet. The company has instaled a buck-bost trans. out of the panel and then back throug the panel to feed the outlet the now 240v. Is alowed ??? Artical number please. THANKS

More information please....

1. Who is the "company", the manufacturer of the equipment or the electrician doing the installation?

2. Is the "panel" the loadcenter or a panel associated with the equipment?

iwire

Staff member
More information please....

1. Who is the "company", the manufacturer of the equipment or the electrician doing the installation?

2. Is the "panel" the loadcenter or a panel associated with the equipment?

You have peaked my curiosity why either of these question would impact the answer. :)

kwired

Electron manager

A buck - boost is an autotransformer. There are couple sections in art 450 that refer to autotransformers. None of what you have mentioned is part of topic in those sections.

There were several hits in a search of the word autotransformer - the most relevant besides the ones in art 450 that deal directly with what your topic of discussion is exception 1 to 210.9. Same exception appears after 215.11.

Exception No. 1: An autotransformer shall be permitted without the connection to a grounded conductor where transforming from a nominal 208 volts to a nominal 240-volt supply or similarly from 240 volts to 208 volts.

j rae

It is allowed.

As far as an Article number I can't give you one that allows it but more importantly there is no Article prohibits it.

What are you specifically concerned with?

I am concerned about it going back through the panel then to the recptical. This is not an OEM item this was installed after the equipment by a contractor.

copper chopper

is the transformer on a breaker? are the amprages correct for the installation? what are the nameplate ratings on that piece of equipment that the transformer is for?
take pictures man and get back to us..

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I am concerned about it going back through the panel then to the recptical. This is not an OEM item this was installed after the equipment by a contractor.
Take a look at 312.8 and if you are not looking at the 2011 code, make sure that you read the complete section.

kwired

Electron manager

Like Don said it is permitted, if you are concerned about a live conductor originating outside the panel - that is not really what we have here - if you turn off the supply to the panel - there will be no voltage to feed back into the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.