Solar Billboard Sign Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee

1. All exposed metal must be grounded. If rack is, then panel frame must also be.
WEEB lugs on both will be great.
I trust rails are aluminum if contacting aluminum panel frame.
(grounding of panel required by CODE....... and practical reasons, too: Anodization of aluminum, often clear and invisible, effectively isolates panel frame from rails. (I've tested this.)

2. I cannot answer your last Post.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I can use tin platted lugs (something like WEEDLUG-6.7) to ground the rails. Do I also need to ground solar-panels? Or will solar-panels be automatically grounded when tied to the grounded rails?

You can use WEEB grounding clips to bond panels to the racking, and then only put lugs in the racking. I should hasten to add that some AHJs may not accept this, especially if the panel manufacturer does not list it as an acceptable grounding method. Otherwise WEEBs vs lugs-on-panels is a matter of preference and there are plenty of installers in both camps, plus those who decide on a per-project basis.

timm333

Occupation
Electrical Design Engineer
Let me re-phrase the question of my last post. I will put a grounding electrocde to ground the array of solar panels/rails. Can I use this same grounding electrode to ground the steel structure of billboard, or do I need a separate grounding electrode to ground the steel structure of billboard?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Let me re-phrase the question of my last post. I will put a grounding electrocde to ground the array of solar panels/rails. Can I use this same grounding electrode to ground the steel structure of billboard, or do I need a separate grounding electrode to ground the steel structure of billboard?

You can use the same electrode.

timm333

Occupation
There is no AC power…

I called different suppliers and they don't have a grounding lug for grounding the aluminum metal of LED light fixture. Also the manufacturer of lights says that the grounding of LED light fixture is not required.

The only thing that I am not clear at this time is that why it is a common industry practice to "not' ground the LED light fixture, whereas NEC 690.43 is clear that all exposed metal parts shall be grounded regardless of the voltage.

Last edited:

BillK-AZ

Question on UL Listing of the LED fixture

Question on UL Listing of the LED fixture

The following has not been clearly stated in this thread:

1. Is the LED light fixture UL Listed? If so there should be a File number to research the applicable standards and see if UL approved installation instructions were part of the Listing.

2. Is the PV module UL Listed? UL1703 requires that the product be furnished with installation instructions.

The NEC requires installation according to the manufacturer's instructions.

timm333

Occupation
No, the LED light fixture is not UL listed. What is the number of the NEC article that states that the product shall be installed as per manufacturer's recommendations?

timm333

Occupation
I talked to the manufacturer and they say I can ground the light fixtures. Also I will have to drill a hole in the light fixture for entry of cable that connects two batteries. I will have to use watertight gland for this purpose.

The grounding lugs should be mounted at the bottom of light fixture so that water does not go in the light fixture. But the problem is that we are mounting the light at the top of billboard (facing down.) So the light has to be at an angel and the glass frame of the LED's will be at the bottom and all metal will be either on top or on side and no metal will be at the bottom.

Are there some water proof grounding lugs available?

Zee

SURE, SEARCH FOR DIRECT BURIAL LAY IN LUGS.
SHOULD HAVE S. ST. SET SCREW.
TIN-PLATED BODY.
COPPER WIRE COMPATIBLE. AL/CU
E.G. ilsco. burndy.

BillK-AZ

Some comments:

From the prior discussions it seems that you are planning on using a (possibly more than one) non-UL Listed LED light fixture that was designed to illuminate upwards and having it illuminate downwards, possibly negating any rain-tight properties of the assembly.

If an Authority Having Jurisdiction (permit and inspection required) is involved you may have major problems. Even if inspection, etc. is not required, the last thing you need is to have rain fill the fixture.

If the fixture remains rain-tight as installed, you may be able to use a simple ring terminal inside the fixture to make the equipment ground.

If the extra battery you are planning on attaching is in a metal enclosure, then the enclosure will also have to be grounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.