Is this Transfer Switch legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I can't really tell what that is. It looks like someone's creation in an Eaton panel.
I would love to see more of the install But I'll bet you there is no UL label for it......
But if it doesn't feed back out on the utility he has done better than most DIY'ers.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Looks like a Conneticut Electric transfer switch stuck inside a loadcenter enclosure. Can't tell for sure from the picture, but that looks like their logo on the interior.

kwired

Electron manager
So, you think some EC bought a small Eaton C/H panel just to gut and us as a transfer cabinet?

My guess - the panelboard was already there and contained the desired circuits to be connected to standby power. Maybe there never was a generator before but it was planned to someday put those circuits on one.

Owner purchases generator and transfer equipment - with built in branch circuit overcurrent devices - easy install is to remove guts from original panel and place that assembly in there since it fits easily.

Just a possibility - it could just be a way to make that transfer equipment into flush mount type and the cabinet was not there to begin with. That panelboard is probably cheaper than trying to buy any other cabinet to put it in and just discard the interior.

Last edited:

Occupation
Inspector
I have installed about a dozen Reliance Transfer Switch sets. A couple of them I have done were recessed using the flush mount kit provided by Reliance. This might be a case where the flush mount kit was used and a cover was fitted over to hide the Transfer Switch. Don't know but ...

stickboy1375

I have installed about a dozen Reliance Transfer Switch sets. A couple of them I have done were recessed using the flush mount kit provided by Reliance. This might be a case where the flush mount kit was used and a cover was fitted over to hide the Transfer Switch. Don't know but ...

Im thinking they didn't know a flush kit was available, so this is what they did... in either case, its not a big deal, wall is still flush, and the universe is still existent. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.