HANDHOLE HOLE SETTING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
What is the most common metthod of taking delivery of a 3'x2'x2' 4,000lb handhole and setting it out on a open site? Thanks.

iwire

Staff member
What is the most common metthod of taking delivery of a 3'x2'x2' 4,000lb handhole and setting it out on a open site? Thanks.

For us the most common way would be to watch the excavation contractor do it.

If we have to do it we would rent a telehandler.

Gradall%27s_534D9-45_Telehandler_Large_View.jpg

iwire

Staff member
We usually borrow the GC's telehandler....

I can't think of a time I have seen a GC with one, we often borrow one from the masons.

A lot of our jobs we have one on site for ourselves anyway. A number of our guys have the state required license to operate them. :)

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I can't think of a time I have seen a GC with one, we often borrow one from the masons.

A lot of our jobs we have one on site for ourselves anyway. A number of our guys have the state required license to operate them. :)

I see they are called telehandlers but do they go by another name? Thanks.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
What? You mean I've got the only supplier whose trucks have the cranes on them, and will set it wherever you want?

No, but there are lots of jobs so far from civilization that supplies come in a large box truck or semi-trailer and it's up to the trades to get the stuff off. Being able to use the bricky's Pettibone was a Godsend at one such job.

Also, there are places that you may need something heavy, like the OP is asking of, in a place a truck won't go. A four wheel drive all terrain forklift is the weapon of choice in that case. They are also great to get the truck that was assumed would get right up to the site un-stuck from the sand or mud or snow.

They make great self propelled jacks, too. Changing a tire is much easier if a machine does all the work!

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

I just set a 4x4x4 vault yesterday with the GC's telehandler.....

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Horsegoer, since I know your question comes from an estimating perspective, here are a couple of things...

If at all possible for the estimate, get a price from your local concrete vault company that includes delivery and set in place. Then your job is done! If not, put is $700 to cover equipment cost and live with it plus or minus. I say $700 because I don't believe you will need to lift 4000 pounds. With that kind of weight, I am expecting either 3 or 4 pieces that total that weight A base, rim and cover assembly, or indivdual 2 piece cover. You can rig that in place with a mini excavator, backhoe, or possibly a little winch on the back of a trailer.

Baiscally though, while it is good to be curious, this is one of those places in an estimate that you just throw some money at and let the field guys find a way to beat it.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Beer!
If you are on a P.L.A. job you could need a rigger unless you have one in your men.$$
Beer, can get many jobs done on the cheap. I had the roofer unload and place, (4) locations, all my reels of wire on a job one time; cost one case of Bud. ~ $24.

Status
Not open for further replies.