Generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMG_1

I have sized a generator for an industrial application. I am now in the process of sizing the fuel tank which should be based on the Generator Class (run time). From my research I have been able to gather the following about generators:

Class - The total amount of time the the generator will need to run. This will determine the size of the fuel tank.
Level - Life Safety Classification
Type - The allowable Transfer Time (based on the Level)

I cannot seem to find any information on how to select or determine the "Class". Does anyone have some information for me?

Thanks.

MEP_PM

Good Question. I've had the same problem and no one has given me a good answer. Hopefully someone can give us a good explanation.

With that being said, generally our installation have been at least class 2 based on NEC 700.12(B)(2) requirement for 2-hr of back up. Or class-X (96hr) based on the Seismic requirements in NFPA 110 5.1.2.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
According to NFPA 110 - Standard for Emergency and Standby Power Systems, it is the role of "other" NFPA Standards to specify the applicable level, type and class of Emergency Power Supply Systems (EPSSs).

I know of two standard that specify EPSSs. NFPA 101 requires a Class 2 EPSS for mechanical ventilation equipment in smokeproof enclosures. NFPA 99 requires Class X EPSSs for Type 1, 2 & 3 essential electrical system power sources. Class X means whatever time is required by the application, user or other code.

Basically the runtime is up to you based on your application or user needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.