outdoor water fountain residential

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

I have a customer who wants me to run a 120V circuit and recept out in his yard so he can plug in one of those water features (water fountain). I will run conduit underground and mount bellbox and recept on 4X4 post in a predetermined location. Everything I will do will be done to code. Heres my problem with the water fountain which is installed already, it comes with a 20 FT. SJTW cord which they buried about 15 FT in the ground and ran over to the location they want to install receptacle. I looked on the cord and found no listing for it to be direct buried. Apparently this is how they do these from what I was told to keep the cord and outlet out of site off to the side. Anyone else seen a setup like this? I am going to tell customer that the cord is not listed to be direct buried. What they plug in after I leave is on them but I just don't agree with how they buried the cord.

kwired

Electron manager
I have a customer who wants me to run a 120V circuit and recept out in his yard so he can plug in one of those water features (water fountain). I will run conduit underground and mount bellbox and recept on 4X4 post in a predetermined location. Everything I will do will be done to code. Heres my problem with the water fountain which is installed already, it comes with a 20 FT. SJTW cord which they buried about 15 FT in the ground and ran over to the location they want to install receptacle. I looked on the cord and found no listing for it to be direct buried. Apparently this is how they do these from what I was told to keep the cord and outlet out of site off to the side. Anyone else seen a setup like this? I am going to tell customer that the cord is not listed to be direct buried. What they plug in after I leave is on them but I just don't agree with how they buried the cord.

One more reason why GFCI protection is required IMO.

Had a customer one time complain a GFCI always tripped especially whenever they watered the plants. They originally wanted me to replace it as they thought something was wrong with it. I knew better, if problems increase when water is introduced it is not just a nuisance - something is happening to cause it to do what it is intended to do. Turns out the cord to the fountain did not reach the receptacle and extension cord was used. Cord and connector ends were buried under the landscaping mulch, bark, or whatever they had, whenever the cord connector got water around it there was a ground fault and GFCI was doing what it is supposed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.