100 amp temporary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

I know ill get slammed for asking this Im trying to figure out how much to charge for a 100 amp over head temp service I have the set up just must dig hole drive steaks and two grods Im figuring two guys two hours plus rods #6 ect I come up with $300 any help would be great.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would charge whatever the cost would be if you had to buy all new materials + labor.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I would charge whatever the cost would be if you had to buy all new materials + labor.

I agree. I charge like it is brand new, just built. After all, it may have to stay at the house(or whatever) for better than 6 months...

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I can't see you charging anything less than the retail value of the materials and a day's pay for an electrician and a helper.

I say it that way so as not to judge how much you charge or what your supply house charges.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
If I am doing the job then I don't charge for the equipment - just the labor.

You don't charge even if you're supplying the equipment?

I can understand Dennis not charging full price for the equipment for each use, but how did you pay for the equipment in the first place? And what happens when that equipment is too old? Do you charge the next unlucky customer full price to replace your setup?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If I am doing the job then I don't charge for the equipment - just the labor.
That would be OK if you have a temporary mast set-up from a previous job and you're pretty sure to get the balance of the work. However, if you're installing new I'd make sure to get the $$ for whatever you buy and install.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I look at this like you're renting them the equipment and installing too. For us a temporary service costs $xxxx whether we reuse the setup from the last job or not.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I say each job can be different situation.

If you have a contract and in the contract you are to provide temporary power - then you should have included those costs when the contract was written. You should get any temporary equipment back at some point, so you did not lose the equipment but it has had some wear and tear - so hopefully you figured some cost at least for those reasons.

Many guys have temporary service equipment that is used over on future jobs - they do need repairs at times so whatever you choose to charge for the use of it should take that into consideration.

There can be other circumstances where you charge as though you are going to leave that equipment in place - that way if it never comes back to you you have been reimbursed for it and can replace it.

You can always credit them when it does get returned - and remember that you don't credit 100% but whatever you decide is still fair and acceptable to cover wear and tear, labor, and any other incurred expense as well as some for profit. Doesn't have to be outrageous profit but you do these jobs for profit don't you?

celtic

I would charge for the labor - you know what the hours invovled would be better than us....do not forget to add the time for site prep/layout, POCO time, permit and fees/filing time, etc.

I would also charge for the equipment.
Just because it was paid for once already does not mean it is "free"....it must transported to the site, removed from the site, and stored until the next use. CB's go bad rather quickly on a jobsite/temp. setup vs. permanent in a home/business.
None of this is "free".

What you charge is up to you...a daily...weekly...monthly fee?
Depends on the time-frame it will be used.
Do you have a chart from a rental company?
This may give you some idea of the percentages invovled.

Status
Not open for further replies.