Question regarding DHHS inspection for a doctors office

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkyMarkNC

I recently completed a small fit-up of a doctors office where procedures are also performed. They are having an inspection from DHHS, so that they can qualify for Medicare and Medicaid patients. On the list of items requested by the inspector for this inspection were the following.

7. Documentation showing the values of voltage measurements (not to exceed 20 mV) made under nofault
conditions between a reference grounding point and the exposed conductive surfaces of fixed
electrical equipment in all patient care areas. Please include the location of the common ground point
in the documentation. (NFPA 99, Health Care Facilities Code)

8. Documentation showing the values of impedance (not to exceed 0.1 ohms) from the ground point of
the receptacles and a common ground point in all patient care areas. Please include in the
documentation the location of the common ground point. (NFPA 99, Health Care Facilities Code)

Is there anyone who has done one of these inspections who can explain these in simple terms? I'm not truly sure what they are looking for here, and the inspector has not replied yet to any of my phone calls or emails.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Go to the NFPA web site and go to the free code section, then go to NFPA 99 chapter 4 and go to the "Performance Criteria and Testing" section (I don't have a copy in front of me to give you the exact section) The test are basically a leakage and an equipotential test. The problem is you won't be able to do these tests with standard meters, you will need something in the way of a Bio Tech analyser, we use an early version of this analyser

SQ D offers this as a part of their field services also.

BTW, if you are waiting on a DHSR inspector to call you back don't hold your breath

Roger

tyha

First of all you need to read your specifications to see if that inspection was required in your scope of work and that you are responsible for all equipmet meeting this code. Weve done many doctors offices and medical facilities in the same area your in and I ve never had this issue. If not then you need to contact your general contractor and write a change proposal once you find out whats needed to comply.

Status
Not open for further replies.