FIBER PATCH CORD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If you had a (1) 24 strand fiber run and the spec said to furnish a fiber patch cord for each fiber terminated how many would you provide? Do you count both ends, do you count each strand or just the entire cable as one term. I would def say 24 patch cables but then the other end as well??? 48??? Thanks

If you had a (1) 24 strand fiber run and the spec said to furnish a fiber patch cord for each fiber terminated how many would you provide? Do you count both ends, do you count each strand or just the entire cable as one term. I would def say 24 patch cables but then the other end as well???

Kind of depends on what/where each end is. My first inclination is to provide (12) 2-strand patch cables per end. However, if there are multiple 24-strand cables coming together at one spot, you end up duplicating the cables. RFI it?

Rampage_Rick

A 24-strand fiber cable has 48 terminations unless you leave one end of the cable blunt cut.

In networking they use the term "channel" to refer to the complete end-to-end link, and many cabling certifications specify testing the "channel" as opposed to the "basic link" which is an unbroken segment of cable terminated on both ends. (can apply to copper or fiber)

This document sums it up pretty well: http://www.frostelectric.com/pdf/Test Configurations.pdf

As others have stated, more than likely you'll be looking at duplex patch cables (twin fiber) which would necessitate only 12 patch cables on each end (24 patch cables total) Make sure you know what kind of connector they want at the free end of the patch cables (ST, SC, LC) because often times the equipment uses different connectors than the patch panels. (Most of the patch panels I've worked with are SC, most modern network gear is LC, and CCTV is usually ST)

The only common use of individual fibers is one-way data (video) or FTTH (singlemode GPON, such as FIOS)

Oh, and I get most of my fiber patch cables from Monoprice.

Status
Not open for further replies.