Hot Tub Bonding and TIA 11-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWH

is this in effect or for NEC 2011 or is this a proposal if approved would go in effect during next code cycle.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
TIA = Tentative Interim Amendment. It is an emergency change in the code that is issued between code cycles.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Tentative Interim Amendment
NFPA 70?
National Electrical Code?
2011 Edition
Reference: 680.42(B)
TIA 11-1
(SC 11-3-10/TIA Log #1005)
Pursuant to Section 5 of the NFPA Regulations Governing Committee Projects, the National Fire Protection Association has issued
the following Tentative Interim Amendment to NFPA 70?, National Electrical Code?, 2011 edition. The TIA was processed by Panel
17 and the National Electrical Code Technical Correlating Committee, and was issued by the Standards Council on March 1, 2011,
with an effective date of March 21, 2011.
A Tentative Interim Amendment is tentative because it has not been processed through the entire standards-making procedures. It is
interim because it is effective only between editions of the standard. A TIA automatically becomes a proposal of the proponent for the
next edition of the standard; as such, it then is subject to all of the procedures of the standards-making process.

1. Revise 680.42(B) to read as follows:
680.42(B) Bonding. Bonding by metal-to-metal mounting on a common frame or base shall be permitted.
Exception No. 1: The metal bands or hoops used to secure wooden staves shall not be required to be bonded as required in 680.26.
Exception No. 2: A listed self-contained spa or hot tub that meets all of the following conditions shall not be required to have
equipotential bonding of perimeter surfaces installed as required in 680.26(B)(2):
(1) Is installed in accordance with manufacturer?s instructions on or above grade.
(2) The vertical measurement from all permanent perimeter surfaces within 30 horizontal inches (76 cm) of the spa to the top
rim of the spa is greater than 28 inches (71 cm).

Informational Note: For further information regarding the grounding and bonding requirements for self-contained spas and hot
tubs, see ANSI/UL 1563 ? 2009, Standard for Electric Spas, Equipment Assemblies, and Associated Equipment.
Issue Date: March 1, 2011
Effective Date: March 21, 2011

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Thanks

what was the ugency and how were folks installing these units that create such a issue?

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thanks

what was the ugency and how were folks installing these units that create such a issue?
Not sure why this didn't just wait for the next code cycle but part of this amendment (exception 2 specifically) is granting exception when installing the equipotential bonding around specific installs of factory tubs. If the tub is installed according to the exception then a epb is not required for the perimeter.

Exception 2 will help alleviate the problems in complying with the EPB when on a deck although it is not specifically about decks. I assuming the panel felt there is no need if a person climbs a ladder to get into the tub since a metal ladder would be bonded anyway. I believe the TIA will not help when one is able to get into the tub with one leg on the ground. That is what the vertical measurement is about, IMO.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I am really confused now.
A packaged unit need not comply and could have metal that is not bonded. i would think the listing of the manufactured spa would require bonding. So why the need for an exception and of urgency mid code.

sorry if I don't get it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I am really confused now.
A packaged unit need not comply and could have metal that is not bonded. i would think the listing of the manufactured spa would require bonding. So why the need for an exception and of urgency mid code.

sorry if I don't get it.

If it is a packaged unit I suspect all the bonding is done appropriately. If it is a wooden tub the metal hoops do not usually contact the ground-- I suspect that is why.

nrp3

Sounds of crickets chirping.... I have one that the customer wants to sit on the concrete under his second floor deck. Would save a whole lot of destruction. I'll check the states website, if not, I'll call the state guy from our area and see. I had no idea that they even made these changes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
NC accepted the 2011 however according to our state inspector-just talked to him- the TIA was not addressed so in NC one still would need the epb.

If the tub you have is sitting on a slab and there is 28" or less to the top then you cannot use the TIA

nrp3

They finally sent me a model to look at. 33 inches tall. On a slab, yes. Looking at the job over the next week. Still haven't had time to talk to the state yet.

frank everingham

frank everingham

with out the tia, a hot tub installed on a basement floor would require a equipotential bonding system as required by 680.26b, meaning you would have to open up the concrete floor

Status
Not open for further replies.