International Residential Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

erickench

I'm taking a continuing education course for my ICC certification. I accidentally registered for the online course before realizing that it's based on the International Residential Code and all the references in it. However, most of the answers can still be found in the NEC so I'm getting most of them correct. But there is one multiple choice question that puzzles me:

Bored holes for wiring in wood joists and rafters are required to be how far from the edge?

A) 1-1/4 inches
B) 2 inches
C) 3 inches
D) This depends on if the edge of the joist is protected with a .625 inch steel plate.

I would have thought that choice 'A' 1-1/4 inches would be the correct answer. Choice 'D' seem's to be missing a decimal place. But the correct answer as given by the course is choice 'B' 2 inches.
According to NEC 300.4(D) the answer should be 1-1/4 inches. Does anyone have an International Residential Code handy? I would like to find out what that code says. This could be an error.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm guessing that the question is not based on the NEC but the building code. Less than 2" from the edge can weaken the rafter or joist. If it said studs then I agree with your answer.

erickench

The question indicates joists and rafters. NEC 300.4(D) state's:

"...... installed parallel to framing members, such as joists, rafters, or studs,......"

Joists and rafters are included in the NEC rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.