Convert 240 1 phase to 208 3 phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

olc

We are converting a fairly small building from one phase to 208V three phase to accommodate an elevator. There are two existing single phase 120/240 panelboards.
Can we connect the panelboards to the three phases (say one to A-B and the other to B-C) and maybe shuffle some 1 pole circuit breakers to balance (move some breakers in both from B to A/C)?
Or should/must we replace the panelboards with 3 phase panelboards?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
We are converting a fairly small building from one phase to 208V three phase to accommodate an elevator. There are two existing single phase 120/240 panelboards.
Can we connect the panelboards to the three phases (say one to A-B and the other to B-C) and maybe shuffle some 1 pole circuit breakers to balance (move some breakers in both from B to A/C)?
Or should/must we replace the panelboards with 3 phase panelboards?

Since you are doing this just to accomodate one 3 phase load, have you considered just changing to a delta high leg service? In many cases the POCO will be happy as it is usually cheaper for them to do this than a full 208/120Y. Also, you could save a little by using a fusible switch as the service and just make the high leg big enough for the elevator.

templdl

Getting 3ph from a 1ph source isn't going to happen by using a transformer. I static of rotory phase convertor must but used.

olc

It will be a new service to the building.
240V 3 phase is an option (if the utility says it is an option).

texie

Occupation
It will be a new service to the building.
240V 3 phase is an option (if the utility says it is an option).

I note you say this is a pretty small building. If you don't meet certain demand threshholds set by the POCO, I'd be very surprised if they would give you a 208/120Y service.

olc

It's not that small.
Let's assume I can get 3 phase and I can't get a 1 phase elevator.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
It's not that small.
Let's assume I can get 3 phase and I can't get a 1 phase elevator.

They do make single phase elevators, I wired a church were I put in three phase, but the church got a deal on a single phase elevator, so I had to upgrade my wire size. Turned out the elevator was three phase, but used a freq drive to convert it back to single phase :rant: but back to your situation, an open delta would be perfect for your application.

templdl

Huh? Who said anything about getting 3 phase from single phase?

"We are converting a fairly small building from one phase to 208V three phase to accommodate an elevator."
Changing the service to 3ph because of a single elevator? Whatever floats your boat I guess.
You have to consider the options. One other guy's suggestion was a 1ph -3ph drive which is sort of like a static convertor.

olc

I'll check out converters (never seen them).
No one has an opinion on the original question about the panelboards?

templdl

I'll check out converters (never seen them).
No one has an opinion on the original question about the panelboards?
I appologize for not addressing that issue.
This is what I would consider:
I may be assuming that you have an existing 120/240v 1ph3w service and you are considering replacing it with a 208y/120 3ph4w service which of course would require a 208Y120 service entrance panel.
As such the existing 120/240 1ph3w panel would be rated for it because it could be feed with 2p breaker from the MDP for 120/208 1ph3w which would be OK should you only have 120v loads. If there were existing 240v L-L loads then there may definitely be an issue if the ended up being fed with 208v.
If you need 240v then a 208-120/240v 1ph3w transformer would have to be considered or a buck/boost transformer which would bump the 208v to 240v.
I may also suggest 240/120v 3ph/4w which would include a 240v delta with a 120/240v 1ph3w lighting tap but the lighting tap load would be limited if this were to be a single 3ph transformer. As such you have to use caution when using this configuration. But, if you had the POCO provide a 3 transformer bank service configured in a delta where one of the transformers is sized larger than the other two that had a 120v center tap to provide for the 120/240v 1ph3w loads. That yyou have the benefit of 240 3ph3w and 120/240v 1ph3w. Even though there will be 208v from the "wild leg" (the orange conductor) and the grounded center tap of the 120/240v it is not usable.
I don't believe that I overlooked anything but would welcome any ideas/comments from others.

olc

Actually that brings up a good point.
The two existing panelboards each have a main circuit breaker which is a main service disconnect (currently).
I was going to make the elevator enclosed circuit breaker a third main disconnect. But then two of my 3 main disconnects would be 2 pole. Does this sound OK?

templdl

Actually that brings up a good point.
The two existing panelboards each have a main circuit breaker which is a main service disconnect (currently).
I was going to make the elevator enclosed circuit breaker a third main disconnect. But then two of my 3 main disconnects would be 2 pole. Does this sound OK?

Let's back the truck a second. Do you propose to have a 208Y/120 3ph4w or a 240/120 3ph4w service provided from the POCO? We should start there first. Then we can proceed with applying your 120/240v 1ph3w existing panels.

texie

Occupation
Let's back the truck a second. Do you propose to have a 208Y/120 3ph4w or a 240/120 3ph4w service provided from the POCO? We should start there first. Then we can proceed with applying your 120/240v 1ph3w existing panels.

I agree. That's what I was getting at in my earlier post. The POCO holds the cards here. For example, one POCO I work with, the "standard" 3 phase service for small commercial customers is 4 wire delta. If you insist on 208Y/120, they require a minimum of 150 KW of demand (not calculated load) or you get your check book out. But it seems to me from the OP's description that a 4 wire delta might be the best choice here anyway.

templdl

I agree. That's what I was getting at in my earlier post. The POCO holds the cards here. For example, one POCO I work with, the "standard" 3 phase service for small commercial customers is 4 wire delta. If you insist on 208Y/120, they require a minimum of 150 KW of demand (not calculated load) or you get your check book out. But it seems to me from the OP's description that a 4 wire delta might be the best choice here anyway.

I agree that a 240/120 3ph4w delta would be the least grief. The install a service entrance with his main disconnect there and feed his existing 1ph3w panels from that with a 3ph branch for the elevator. Then call it a day.
Otherwise this thing is getting way more complicated that it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.