Permits, studies, analysis - Who is responsible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krist003

Who is typically responsible for the studies and analysis' required when an electrical contractor is requested to do energized work? It seems that the first thing an electrician should do when asked to do energized work is to look for the label, if no label then ask for the studies to be done.

Who typically fills out an energized electrical work permit?

Thanks all.

It has been my experience that, the party requesting the energized work to be done should initiate the paperwork. However many organizations do not have the adequate education or knowledge about how to calculate the potential Arc Flash Hazard. Therefore the qualified personnel asked to execute the work has to do his /her own assesment and determine if they have the PPE sufficient to do the work. If neither party can determine the correct PPE then the work must be done de-energized.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
Not exactly an answer to the OP's post but I felt the need to post. I don't have my NFPA70E handy but if you review the section regarding energized work you will find that the criteria justifying it is very limited. My guess is that at least 99% of the energized work still occurring is not warranted per the criteria specified in NFPA70E. We stopped allowing it years ago and it costs us a lot of money to shut off power for what used to be considered routine work.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
I'd suggest that it's the EC's responsibility to develop the energized work permit, and to have it signed by the HO. PPE requirements could be determined using the 70E tables.
I agree that the work will most likely not fit the requirements for rationalized energized work, but who knows... the customer may have a legitimate reason, like someone's inside on life support.
An EC could work safely by complying with the Tables, which for residential work are reasonably accurate, in my opinion, because the notes to the tables are more easily satisifed (like 65kA max available, etc.)
John M

Status
Not open for further replies.