Residential bathroom questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RESI

Hello to all- I have a residential bathroom that is being remodeled and I have a couple of questions. Can any lighting be located on the vertical wall adjacent to the tub? Does the light switch controlling the same lights have to be a certain distance from the tub? Thanks to all who reply! :?

Npstewart

I just saw this in my ecw magzine this weekend. Not sure if you get that magazine but there is a good illustration in the Q&A section.

I believe it was section 404.4 and 680.72.

Npstewart

Yup. It is 404.4 in the NEC 2008. I think this was modified a little in the 2011 code.

Basically, a switch or receptacle can be located very close to the tub, but it cannot be over the tub. The nec uses the term "Within the tub" unless it is part of the tub itself.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Please allow the mods to decide. You are free to report a post if you have questions.

Article 410.10(D) is what you need for the light fixture placement.

resistance

Whatever, I?m sick of holding my tongue. If you have over 36 years electrical experience, own an electrical contracting business, and are a master electrician, then you should know how to open a code book and find this basic information!!!!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Whatever, I?m sick of holding my tongue. If you have over 36 years electrical experience, own an electrical contracting business, and are a master electrician, then you should know how to open a code book and find this basic information!!!!

If everyone knew everything we could shut down this forum too.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If everyone knew everything we could shut down this forum too.
Thank you. There have been many times when I have had to struggle to find something in "THE BOOK". It is partially why we are here. Sometimes someone may be too lazy to get the book or lost their book. Whatever the reason there is no need to attack someone. You don't have to answer if it bothers you.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thank you. There have been many times when I have had to struggle to find something in "THE BOOK". It is partially why we are here. Sometimes someone may be too lazy to get the book or lost their book. Whatever the reason there is no need to attack someone. You don't have to answer if it bothers you.

I agree. I just posted one such question here:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=145736

Npstewart

Sounds like you've had enough and your gonna let it be known.

resistance

I respect Dennis as he is always here to answer questions rather basic or not. But, what I don?t like is hypocrites!!! You ask who am I to choose, I ask, ?who are you to choose?!!! You want to be fair, then let everyone ask basic questions. Don?t pick and choose. When I asked a theory question, i was told to get lost. Someone (moderator) told me to go to a DIYer site and ask my question?as it was too basic. Not here trying to be a moderator, but it?s clear we have a bunch of hypocrites!!! You also say stay on topic (Electrical related), but I found a few conversations that was way off topic posted by iwire, and a few others?even a few comments insulting a poster. So, don?t give me all the lip about how I?m wrong!!! Lets be honest, and fair!!!

Npstewart

In my opinion you need more exclamation points in your response. The 15 exclamation points just doesn't show me how you really feel.

You just went on a 7 line rant on how you hate hypocrites, at the same time calling a couple moderators hypocrites. Good luck getting your questions answered. The moderators are the backbone of this forum. Now your gonna have to make another user name lol.

As for the simple questions, I like seeing them on here. Most people know the answers on here but sometimes they generate great conversation about the basics and many times end up in disagreements on subjects we all thought we knew. I've been surprised before that's for sure.

I don't know if your a subscriber to the ecw magazine but they always have a q&a section about code basics. This magazine has been around forever and many times have in depth technical articles, but they still keep the code basics section, there is a reason for it. Like I said, the same question the OP asked is actually in the magazine this month so I think his question is valid.

Last edited:

stickboy1375

In my opinion you need more exclamation points in your response. The 15 exclamation points just doesn't show me how you really feel.

You just went on a 7 line rant on how you hate hypocrites, at the same time calling a couple moderators hypocrites. Good luck getting your questions answered. The moderators are the backbone of this forum. Now your gonna have to make another user name lol.

They have his IP address, a new user name won't work. :)

As for the simple questions, I like seeing them on here. Most people know the answers on here but sometimes they generate great conversation about the basics and many times end up in disagreements on subjects we all thought we knew. I've been surprised before that's for sure.

I don't know if your a subscriber to the ecw magazine but they always have a q&a section about code basics. This magazine has been around forever and many times have in depth technical articles, but they still keep the code basics section, there is a reason for it. Like I said, the same question the OP asked is actually in the magazine this month so I think his question is valid.

I agree, i like everything discussed here, whether it's completely over my head, or right where I fit in.

resistance

I?m not worried about being banned!!! Also, I?m not worried about moderators answering or not answering my questions (many of them ignore my questions any how. Most new comers answer my questions). I moderate two other sites, and trust me, we get a lot more insulting comments then any I?ve every seen on here. We don?t ban people for expressing themselves?unless it?s highly insulting, or gets too over the top!!! I?m also not a freeloader>>>I support this site by buying Mike Holt books (Note: This isn?t to say purchasing is required, but I appreciate Mike and his family for providing this site). I haven?t purchased anything lately, but I have my eye on the new 2011 stock (at least one book?Ground vs Bonding). I?m just being honest!!! Maybe I need to get over how I was treated when I asked a basic question!! Also, I think you guys need to spend more of your time being self-leaders, and stop co-signing!!!

Npstewart

I?m not worried about being banned!!! Also, I?m not worried about moderators answering or not answering my questions (many of them ignore my questions any how. Most new comers answer my questions).

I don't think anyone mentioned anything about banning you.

I looked back at your "started threads" and most of your threads were answered immediately by a moderator, not a new comer. Infinity, Dennis or David always answered your questions most of the time.

Just take it easy, maybe you've had a bad day, and you took it out in the wrong place. Happens to everyone. Tomorrow will be here in 15 mins so maybe you can start the day a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.