Signage for standby residential generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

finster1

What type of signage is required for a standby generator in New Jersey?
I installed a standby generator core 7kw and was told by the inspector that I needed a sign by the meter pan saying that There are two sources of electric feeding this
residence and it needed to be Red with White letters.....
I have installed many generators and have never heard of this requirement....as a curtousy I always install yellow caution sign on generator and on subpanel saying that this panel is fed by utilitiy and by standby generator
and in generator include signage that this is a standby generator and may start automatically at any given time......
Your thoughts or input on this guys???????????????????

stickboy1375

What type of signage is required for a standby generator in New Jersey?
I installed a standby generator core 7kw and was told by the inspector that I needed a sign by the meter pan saying that There are two sources of electric feeding this
residence and it needed to be Red with White letters.....
I have installed many generators and have never heard of this requirement....as a curtousy I always install yellow caution sign on generator and on subpanel saying that this panel is fed by utilitiy and by standby generator
and in generator include signage that this is a standby generator and may start automatically at any given time......
Your thoughts or input on this guys???????????????????

702.8 (A)

You mean you never read article 702 before... :)

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
702.8(A) says that a sign is required by the service entrance equipment. Is a meter pan considered service entrance equipment?

stickboy1375

702.8(A) says that a sign is required by the service entrance equipment. Is a meter pan considered service entrance equipment?

IMO, no... BUT, the reason for the sign to begin with is for firemen to know that a secondary source of power is evident on the premises and to me, thats a great location for that notification.

This is just my opinion of course.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO, no... BUT, the reason for the sign to begin with is for firemen to know that a secondary source of power is evident on the premises and to me, thats a great location for that notification.

This is just my opinion of course.

I agree it's a good idea but I don't see where this is required by the NEC at the meter location.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's not an NEC requirement but many municipalities here in NJ are requiring these signs both for utility personnel and for firemen. The red one that CEB58 pointed out in the link is a good one. Generac usually provides these signs with their units but they're black with silver lettering. Not as noticeable as the red ones IMHO.

finster1

Generator Signage

Generator Signage

Thank you this link was very helpful but the inspector said that the size of the lettering is too small for the requirement and he wants the whole sign on red backround with white letters and all lettering to be a minimum of 3/4" high......I forwarded him a picture of this signage and also ordered it and he just got back to just nw and said it wont meet the requirement....When I asked him where he is getting his requirement from he just tells me what he wants and how he wants it, 3/4" minimum height and red backround with white letters...permanently engraved. Seems like an abuse of power.I have the required signage according to Art 700 but 10 feet away and made by a brady label maker and yellow with black......Plastic engraved Sign """2nd power source available from Standby Generator"""" To
And if you are under the 2011 cycle you have 702.7(A) (which is the same as above) and 702.7(B). Nothing in code about color of lettering.
Here is a source for the signs http://www.nys-spc.com/inc/sdetail/666

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's not an NEC requirement but many municipalities here in NJ are requiring these signs both for utility personnel and for firemen. The red one that CEB58 pointed out in the link is a good one. Generac usually provides these signs with their units but they're black with silver lettering. Not as noticeable as the red ones IMHO.

My brother in law installs a few generator here every month and he's told the same thing as well, that the sign is required at the meter. However no one has yet to provide him with a code article stating that it's required. The usual response is that "it's in 702".

ceb58

I agree it's a good idea but I don't see where this is required by the NEC at the meter location.

I think it was Bob (IWIRE) that had something that stated service rated meant there was provisions for bonding the ground and grounded conductor. Here we are allowed to bond them in the meter base. From another point every house I have been to that had a fire the fire dept. had pulled the meter. This would make the meter location the best place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.