kenny clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpy11

ill get to the clamp later

i see engineers designing a grounding electrodee reiser with one 3/0 in a half inch conduit. not the first time ive seen that.

now if im reading conduit fill in chapter 9 right one 3/0 goes into a 3/4 emt etc.

what brings me to this is the kenny clamp only comes with 1/2 threads.

so if i was installing a gec riser with one 3/0 in 3/4 emt and at every break in the conduit i would need to bond the gec to the emt.

cant use the kenny clamp

anythoughts

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You might need a different fitting such as a grounding hub but you would need to check the size to make sure that a #3/0 is a listed size. You may well need to go to 1" for such a fitting.

iwire

Staff member
You don't want to use 3/4" for 3/0, that will suck.

You don't ever have to use a Kenny clamp

As far as bonding at breaks install a bonding bushing on the end of the conduit with a wire jumper connecting it to the 3/0.

grumpy11

kenny clamp

i guess your right just trying to save a little money. it would appear that the kenny clamp is best used for bare cooper when you enter a panel and alike. too many parts and pices to reduce any conduit above 1/2 to except the clamp. ill have to ask my ahj.

so any thoughts on the engineer putting a 3/0 in 1/2

grumpy11

kenny clamp

no its a price anyway we price for 3/4 conduit.
just thought that i missed something that the code would allow a 3/0 in 1/2 .

pvc not an option

John120/240

Use aluminum RMC or EMT and forget the clamps.

For any metallic conduit with a GEC through it, you need to bond one end if not both ends ?

Right or wrong ?

Say that you can't get a bond bushing that accepts 3/0. Would it work to use a #4 to the

bond bushing on conduit, then use a split bolt from #4 to 3/0 ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For any metallic conduit with a GEC through it, you need to bond one end if not both ends ?

Right or wrong ?

Say that you can't get a bond bushing that accepts 3/0. Would it work to use a #4 to the

bond bushing on conduit, then use a split bolt from #4 to 3/0 ?

The bonding requirment is only for ferrous raceways so PVC or aluminum do not require the bonding. Also your #4 to #3/0 idea is not code complaint. :)

grumpy11

kenny clamp

just got may issue of ec&m ARLINGTON has just come out with a new fitting that would work great with the kenny clamp. it would appear

Status
Not open for further replies.