Kitchen Receptacle Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I saw this in a Q&A in a magazine. They are supposedly answered by "code experts".
Do you agree with the answer given here?

necplus_080910_1x2.gif
Question
Are receptacle outlets installed above overhead kitchen cabinets permitted by National Electrical Code? If so, are the receptacles required to be on a small-appliance branch circuit that serves only audio-visual (A/V) equipment 9 feet above the floor?

Answer
The NEC does not specify a minimum or maximum mounting height for general-purpose branch circuits receptacles on a wall. Section 210.52(B)(3) requires additional small-appliance branch circuits to supply receptacle outlets in the kitchen and other rooms specified in 210.52(B)(1). Two or more 20- ampere small-appliance branch circuits required by 210.11(C)(1) are required to serve all wall and floor receptacles covered in every kitchen., per 210.52(B)(1).

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
I saw this in a Q&A in a magazine. They are supposedly answered by "code experts".

necplus_080910_1x2.gif
Question
Are receptacle outlets installed above overhead kitchen cabinets permitted by National Electrical Code? If so, are the receptacles required to be on a small-appliance branch circuit that serves only audio-visual (A/V) equipment 9 feet above the floor?

Answer
The NEC does not specify a minimum or maximum mounting height for general-purpose branch circuits receptacles on a wall. Section 210.52(B)(3) requires additional small-appliance branch circuits to supply receptacle outlets in the kitchen and other rooms specified in 210.52(B)(1). Two or more 20- ampere small-appliance branch circuits required by 210.11(C)(1) are required to serve all wall and floor receptacles covered in every kitchen., per 210.52(B)(1).

IMHO, I would say that this equipment does not meet the definition of a small appliance.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My answers to the original question are yes and no, in that order. That is,yes the NEC allows it, and no you don't have to put them on an SABC.

The SABCs are required to serve all outlets in the kitchen that are covered by 210.52(A) or (C) or refrigeration equipment. The outlets above the cabinets are not covered by either of those three descriptions. So they don't have to be supplied by an SABC, and therefore can be supplied by general purpose circuits, even at 15 amps.

iwire

Staff member
Besides, being so far above the counter they no longer can count as SABC receptacles

(5) Receptacle Outlet Location. Receptacle outlets shall
be located above, but not more than 500 mm (20 in.) above,
the countertop.............

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

necplus_080910_1x2.gif
Question

Answer

Apparently the NEC has some maximum mounting height. Well, to be counted as the required outlets anyway. In the first paragraph of 210.52, it says in part, "....Receptacle outlets required by this section shall be in addition to any receptacle........or located more than 5-1/2' above the floor".

iwire

Staff member
Apparently the NEC has some maximum mounting height. Well, to be counted as the required outlets anyway. In the first paragraph of 210.52, it says in part, "....Receptacle outlets required by this section shall be in addition to any receptacle........or located more than 5-1/2' above the floor".

See my post above yours for the height limitations of SABCs outlets. :)

renosteinke

We're confusing requirements.

The height limitations for general 'convenience' receptacles apply only to those receptacles that are used to comply with minimum spacing rules. There is no prohibition of additional receptacles in spaces where the code does not require receptacles.

The SABC's are only allowed to serve the countertops, and a few other specific locations. It has even been argued here that we are not allowed to put the dishwasher or garbage disposal on an SABC. Certainly the over-cabinet receptacles are not allowed to be on an SABC .... why else would there be an exception for a clock receptacle? As best I can tell, a clock is not an enterainment system.

So, as I see it, these upper receptacles need to be on some circuit that does not serve the countertops. Perhaps, the circuit that served the dishwasher :D

Status
Not open for further replies.