NEC 700.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimrettberg

In a hospital electrical distribution system serving only 'emergency' loads of life/safety, critical and equiment ATS's. Can a single generator feeder serve a standard distribution panelboard with three branch breakers to serve ATS's for each load noted? Would these branch breakers be required to be 'separated' to meet 700.10,(B),(5)? Only 'emergency' loads are being served.

Strife

In a hospital electrical distribution system serving only 'emergency' loads of life/safety, critical and equiment ATS's. Can a single generator feeder serve a standard distribution panelboard with three branch breakers to serve ATS's for each load noted? Would these branch breakers be required to be 'separated' to meet 700.10,(B),(5)? Only 'emergency' loads are being served.

I've had other applications where and emergency generator had optional standby panels. Never did it for a hospital, but I don't think the hospital would have different requirements.
HOWEVER
Keep in mind that the optional standby ATS will need to be programmed to shut down if the generator will go over a certain load.
So the way you're describing, NO, you'd need a different ATS for the noncritical loads, and that ATS will need to shut down if the generator is overloading.

jimrettberg

I've had other applications where and emergency generator had optional standby panels. Never did it for a hospital, but I don't think the hospital would have different requirements.
HOWEVER
Keep in mind that the optional standby ATS will need to be programmed to shut down if the generator will go over a certain load.
So the way you're describing, NO, you'd need a different ATS for the noncritical loads, and that ATS will need to shut down if the generator is overloading.

There would be three ATS's one for each branch (life/safety, critical and equipment).
Is physical separation between the breakers serving the ATS' required when all the ATS loads are 'emergency' and no optional or legally required loads are involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.