NEMA 6-30 TO 5-20 ADAPTER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a customer that wants me to make some adapters to go from a nema 6-30 plug
to (2) 5-20 duplex receptacles.
This is obviously not an appropriate thing to do, since there is no neutral there and it's 30 amp.
They claim they've made these and used them for years.
My question is, what could I use in the code book to back up my argument that you can't do that.
Any other info would help

They claim they've made these and used them for years.

My favorite argument :slaphead:

You'll have to look up the code citations yourself, but you've already got:
Protecting a device (5-20r) with an oversize OCPD.
A 5-20R is specified/approved for L-N-G connection. Can't do that without the N. (Using a device outside of listing.)

Add to that:
If they -did- make one of these and connect the receptacle's N and G terminals, that's an improper bond.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Floor finishers, flood cleanup, motorized hanging scaffle guys, you name it, they all do it. I've even had highrise scaffle guys ask me to work on these and similar dangerous adapters. I gave up trying to preach the dangers of using the equipment ground as a neutral and just shy away from these things. If I am asked to render an opinon I will, otherwise I just stay away from the whole thing. I don't want to be responsible for a death or accident.

stickboy1375

Floor finishers, flood cleanup, motorized hanging scaffle guys, you name it, they all do it. I've even had highrise scaffle guys ask me to work on these and similar dangerous adapters. I gave up trying to preach the dangers of using the equipment ground as a neutral and just shy away from these things. If I am asked to render an opinon I will, otherwise I just stay away from the whole thing. I don't want to be responsible for a death or accident.

The floor guys scare me the most, they just use alligator type clips to attach to the bus or main lugs... they really aggravate me when they leave the panel covers off though.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
You can make the adapter cable, but it will have a big bump in the middle where the transformer goes.

iwire

Staff member
True, and they are typically battery clips and not even rated for the voltage.

There is member here who uses cut up jumper cables to tap service conductors for his temp power, no OCPD no GFCI, no ground and he strongly believes it is a professional set up. :roll:

kwired

Electron manager
Roofers are pretty crazy with their rigs, they will tap the top of the service mast.

Not only are they risking code violations, or OSHA problems with this - they are also risking theft of service prosecution. Not worth any of those risks for no more power than they end up using. A small generator is well worth it. There are units that are like carrying luggage. If roofer needs more power - likely for an air compressor get a larger unit or a gas powered compressor, it is still cheaper than fines or worse yet civil lawsuits because an employee was injured or killed by alternatives.

jumper

Not only are they risking code violations, or OSHA problems with this - they are also risking theft of service prosecution. Not worth any of those risks for no more power than they end up using. A small generator is well worth it. There are units that are like carrying luggage. If roofer needs more power - likely for an air compressor get a larger unit or a gas powered compressor, it is still cheaper than fines or worse yet civil lawsuits because an employee was injured or killed by alternatives.

I agree, but unless it is my house or a service under our permit, I have no say in the matter. Boss says he does not pay me to stick my nose in other's business.

I have seen other electricians and trades do a lot of wrong stuff, but unless I think that they are going to get someone besides themselves hurt, I mind my own work and ignore others. As they say "you cannot fix stupid."

So did they forget how to make them all of a sudden? They probably had some inspector call them out for doing that and figured an electrician can still do it.

They say they don't have time to build them,
but I think they just want someone else to be responsible for any liability issue.
Not gonna do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.