Pool bond grid timing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

I havent done a steel wall pool in a while. 1 does the 4" of concrete walkway around the pool count as the depth I need for the #8 circle.And 2 coordination wise do I run conduits get trench inspections then have pool guy back fill the dig 4-6" around pool how does anyone handle the coordination of this is the a easier way am I missing something?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My understanding is that you need to be 4-6" below subgrade. IMO, the subgrade would be the grade below the steel or gravel of the concrete

bradleyelectric

When we do pools we run conduits, pull bond wire into the niche with a string to pull the fixture in at a later time, pot the insulate #8, run the bare #8 from the outside of the niche to the steel of the pool and leave a 3' tail, do the 3 other tails based on the location of the niche, bond around fiberglass if there is any, bond to the pump etc. call for trench and pool bond inspection to include the potting (this may be called different types of inspections depending on the jurisdiction and they may tell you that you are doing things in the wrong order if you do the potting at this time, I just tell them it is how the pool company does things). Every jurisdiction I work in if there is rebar for the deck we bond the tails to the rebar and that is the deck bond. The #8 circle is an alternative method. Check the code book. Call your inspector and ask him. He is the 1 that passes or fails it. If you are using the #8 circle it is supposed to be 4-6" under sub grade 18-24? from the inside wall of the pool and secured (sod staples). We never use the #8 circle unless it is a paver deck or the concrete doesn?t go all the way around the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.