Boiler emergency switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaffen99

Has anyone ever been required to put a switch lockout on a boiler emergency switch. This boiler room has different entrances, and I thought that might be the reason, but I still don't see a requirement. Am I missing it?

GlennH

I'm in PA. and all our state inspected boiler jobs need a lockable switch cover or disconnect -on- the boiler in addition to any disconnects at the entrances.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Has anyone ever been required to put a switch lockout on a boiler emergency switch. This boiler room has different entrances, and I thought that might be the reason, but I still don't see a requirement. Am I missing it?

The boiler requires a disconnecting means within sight of the boiler. I don't know of any requirment that the disconnecting means must be lockable. Is this a natural gas boiler?

NorthwestPV

In my area, your required to have an emergency shut off switch for boilers. They only require it to be a switch thats marked on and off, no locking required. A toggle switch is sufficient.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I installed a disconnect at each boiler. I can't grasp putting a lockout on an emergency switch.

Isn't the emergency part usually involve turning it off and not turning it on? LOTO rules would really like you to be able to lock it off.

If it's for an emergency you likely would only need to flip the switch to shut the thing down in a hurry. After that you can take care of the situation before anybody comes along and inexplicably turns the switch back on.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't know codes for boilers, but some I have been around have disconnect within sight of equipment - typical NEC requirement for most anything, and usually have E-stop switches outside entrances to the boiler room - some I have added because they were not there and that is what was wanted. The idea is if the thing blows open you don't have to go into the room to kill power to the boiler. The E-stops I have wired up just kill control voltage and not main power. I'm talking industrial steam boiler here and not a domestic heating boiler.

I think a shunt trip breaker on main power would be better yet then just interrupting control power - but that is what was wanted and apparently acceptable.

iwire

Staff member
If it's for an emergency you likely would only need to flip the switch to shut the thing down in a hurry. After that you can take care of the situation before anybody comes along and inexplicably turns the switch back on.

The switch at the boiler is just a service switch, no more no less. If the oil fired equipment is having an 'Emergency' walking over to it is not recommended.

The one located outside the room for oil fired equipment is the 'Emergency Switch' required by the other codes.

I believe the reason for the remote switch is to kill the power to the oil pump in case it is pumping fuel into an uncontrolled fire.

jamwhee

The lockable disconnecting means is a requirement of ASME CSD-1. This is required in addition to a manually operated remote shutdown switch outside the boiler room (or just inside the door if it the entrance is from the exterior.

Status
Not open for further replies.